Topic

School me on carry options for a larger camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography School me on carry options for a larger camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Drifter
    BPL Member

@hiplainsdrifter

I have been shooting for a while with just a P&S, a Panasonic Lumix. It doesn't weigh much and fits in any pocket of my daypack or backpack in a small Pelican case. However, I am thinking of stepping up to something more powerful- I am looking at Micro 4 3 systems, probably a Panasonic G10. I was wondering if people could tell me what they would carry something like this (perhaps with 2 lenses) in. I could get a larger Pelican case, but that seems pretty cumbersome in a backpack- definitely in a day pack with water, crampons, jacket, whatever else also in there. What about just a soft case, and put it in a ziplock for wet snow or river fords? Ideas? I would be using the camera in all seasons. Incidentally, does anyone have a preference- Panasonic G10 vs Olympus PL1?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Strangely enough, I have seen guys struggling uphill on a trail trying to carry a large suitcase-size Pelican case.

I am a big user of LowePro camera cases. They have just about any size and shape you want. Mine is weatherproof, although that does not mean immersion-proof.

–B.G.–

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I carry a micro 4/3 camera in a small waist pack. I don't see much need for total waterproof/crushproof protection of a Pelican case on the trail. If the weather is really bad, I'll put the camera inside my pack, inside the waterproof bag that protects my sleeping bag and clothing.

You can also try one of the holster bags from Think Tank Photo, which will attach to a pack suspension system, and come with a rain cover.

Keep an eye on prices for the G-2, which is IMHO really a much better shooting experience than the G10. The G-3 should be announced next week, and so the G-2 has some nice rebates depending on lenses. (See Adorama.com for some examples.)

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just upgraded from the Pany ZS-6 to a Sony NEX-5. Super image quality and interesting options with that camera.

Anyway, I saw this article about adapting a water bottle holder to carry the NEX with its telephoto lens:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=38322912

I'm going to try that option. It may not work so well with a heavier bodied camera or a smaller lens, however.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

When I spent over a year in China shooting daily I loved my Tamrac Velocity 7 sling bag. The old style opens with the lid facing out . I liked it . I can't comment on later editions which face in. If you took it apart and replaced the foam with a lighter option I think you'd like it. As a sling you can vary the position for sweat, fatigue, security. Only downside is that is does not "stand up" . Just enough space for Tele, Wide Angle, batteries, Cards, back-up film camera like a Pentax UC-1 , and a shower cap for rain.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I prefer the Panasonic UI to Olympus, but it's a personal taste issue. I typically use the Panasonic GF1 backpacking.

As to how to carry. Unless it's raining, I typically have my hooked to my shoulder strap with my standard lens (20/1.7) mounted. In wet weather it's typically under my jacket. Lens typically live in external pockets inside domke wraps. If it's rain, the domke wrap goes inside a waterproof rolltop bag, and into the body of the pack.

–Mark

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Drifter
    BPL Member

@hiplainsdrifter

Thanks for the comments all. I ended up going with the Panasonic G1k. My interest in a hard case is due not only to waterproofing (could just put the camera in a ziplock or dry bag after all), but also protection- I intend to do a lot of skiing with this camera, and while I could pad it amongst layers in my pack, maybe something tougher would be nice. Perhaps I am being too anal though. I will look into basic carry options, maybe with a LowePro or similar soft case, and maybe get a Pelican just for canoe trips…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Yes, before you purchase anything, you want to think about how you are going to carry it. Last weekend while skiing, one friend was carrying a camera with big lens in a chest pack. At the same time, I carried a camera in an equivalent case, but it was tucked away into a backpack. On other occasions I would put the same case on its shoulder strap around my neck and shoulder so that it hangs over my front pants pocket.

–B.G.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The trouble with most DSLR's is that they tend to swing as you walk. Even with a chest case, they make life difficult to have out. Clips require unclipping before use, soo, you miss the snap pics or quick action shots.

Canoeing can be a chalenge. A drybag with some foam mages a good carrying case. Blow it up good before sealing it. It won't sink.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

I like to clip a lowepro case just big enough to contain my camera and lens of choice to my shoulder straps on my chest. I can't see my feet and extra lenses are in the backpack. But for quick shots it works great. I unzip the toploader and grab the camera.

Will Webster

@willweb

The Think Tank DH-20 is a lot more compact than the Lowepro equivalent. I haven't had a problem with it on my chest, including backpacking in the Grand Canyon and dayhiking up and down Canyon de Chelly and the Superstitions. I hang it from my pack straps using Op-Tech Reporter straps and Pro-loop connectors, and use grosgrain ribbon with a plastic snap hook to prevent swaying by anchoring one bottom corner of the case to the point where a pack strap connects to the hip belt. The DH-20 is just about the perfect size for a Canon Rebel series or 20D-sized body with 17-50 / 2.8 lens. My 7D can barely cram into it and is tough to remove. The Lowepro cases, on the other hand, work nicely with the 1D-series.

DH20 in Grand Canyon

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"My 7D can barely cram into it and is tough to remove."

I hear you. I have the same problem with a 7D.

I think a lot of us go through new camera bodies every so many years. Yet the case is not worn out, so I always want to use the new body in the old case. That works up to a point, and then something won't fit right. I'm still using one case that I purchased for a film camera in 1997, and it still holds up despite many rough trips.

I wish that I could find a Canon DSLR case that is unusually lightweight. I would use the old heavy one for some trips, but then use something lightweight for a special trip.

Unfortunately, camera accessory manufacturers all assume that photographers have an infinite supply of money to spend.

–B.G.–

Drifter
    BPL Member

@hiplainsdrifter

After checking out the various soft bags available, I am really struck that there aren't better lightweight, compact options. The chest mount seems like a decent option utilizing what bags are out there, but I see a glaring problem as mentioned- If you can't see your feet, you cant see where to place them. No big deal for most well used trails. Intolerable for off trail travel such as boulder fields, crampon work, etc.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Ryan McCabe
    BPL Member

@3tree

That capture clip looks intriguing!

But it looks like I would have to swap out my RRS L-bracket for their gizmo when on the move, and then switch back to the L-bracket when wanting to do tripod shots. Somewhat cumbersome switching, but maybe its worth it… otherwise that system looks nice. Thanks for the link!

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

I had the same thought but figured since most of my tripod shots are dawn/dusk it wouldn't be too big a pain to take of my rrs L bracket. :). When I am taking the pack off, getting the tripod unstrapped, deploying the tripod, etc… The extra time to unscrew one shouldn't be that much extra. I hope!

plus I have plenty of times I leave the tripod behind and then the capture thing would be great.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools