Topic

Help in PNW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have a PCT thru coming up and I'm looking at an option if I get to Canada a bit early. The plan would be to head back south a few miles to the Boundary Trail and take it to Ross Lake and pick up the PNT over Whatcom Pass to SR 542, an additional 90 miles.
    1) Is that route pretty straight-forward, well marked and actually a trail vs. a lost trail?
    2) Is 542 a heavily traveled road that would allow me to hitch into Bellingham?
    3) I have heard that area is very nice. Accurate?

Thanks

joseph a cruikshank

@bigfeet

Locale: maple valley, WA

I don't know the trail but yes the Mt. Baker Highway is well traveled so getting to Bellingham should be no problem at all. The area is beautiful and there are many hiking opportunities. The small towns of Glacier and Maple Falls near Mt. Baker are sorta hip places to hang out and Bellingham is pretty cool as well.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Terrific area. Beautiful views, really can't go wrong. There is a lot of information at nwhikers.net regarding this area.

Here is a trail report of the Ross Lake to Whatcom Pass area.
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16050&highlight=whatcom+pass

The only issue you may encounter is that as you head west, the chance of significant rainfall increases. The PCT jogs a fair distance east as you approach the north of the state – if it were to truly follow the crest, it would likely take along the flanks of Mt. Baker (which in 1999 received in excess of 1,100 inches of snow).

So, if you are getting rain (or snow) on the PCT when you are in the North Cascades or Pasayten, on the west side of the cascade range they will be getting a lot more.

Just one thing to note, you are not allowed to hike from the Canadian side back into the U.S. – I didn't see anyone out there when I crossed the border a couple of years back, but up here they've reported a change in the rules and that they will be enforcing the rules. Just something to consider, should you hike the 8 or so miles from the border to the nearest lodge.

Again, I have no idea how they will enforce this, because I didn't see anyone out there, but perhaps something has changed.

Have fun.

Dirk

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

When are you coming? There is still a horrendous amount of snow up there. Instead of peaking and starting to melt April 1 as it normally does, the snowpack has greatly increased in the past 6 weeks. Snow levels in the Pacific NW are still around 3,000 feet, and it's still snowing and avalanching above 5,000 feet. We need a month of hot weather to get back to more normal snow levels!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Mary,
    I would be arrive at the end of my PCT thru in late August.

Sounds like my plan is pretty solid. I also will have real live rain gear for that section of my trip, sounds like it will get some use. Thanks for the link to the trip report.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Even the amount of snow we have should melt by late August!

There are two trails from the PCT down to Ross Lake. You can go from Holman Pass to the southern end of Ross Lake, the route of the Pacific Northwest Trail. Or you can take the true Boundary Trail, known locally as the Three Fools Trail, from Castle Pass (just south of the border) to Lightning Camp on Ross Lake. From reports I've seen, this trail is not maintained and a few sections have considerable blowdown. Considering that I see a trip report or two per year, though, it is passable. To get to Whatcom pass, you have to hike back down to the Ross Lake dam either way, unless you arrange for a water taxi from the Ross Lake resort across the lake to Little Beaver landing. nwhikers.net is an excellent source for trip reports.

You do need backcountry permits for camping in the Ross Lake National Recreation Area and in North Cascades National Park. Check the NCNP website for details.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools