Topic

sleeping pad for insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sleeping pad for insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

Hey folks,
    I'm out to buy a new sleeping pad since my husband stole my old one. I'm a very simple sleeper and during the summer I often go backpacking without a pad–comfort is not a big factor for me. However, early spring backpacking this year proved to me how valuable the insulation property of a sleeping pad is.
    So, is the GG thinlight 3/8" enough to keep me warm on a 15* night? Or should I go for a z-lite? Or something else?

Thanks!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would want something warmer than a 3/8 Thinlight for 15 degrees. The 3/8 thinlight has an R value of about 1.4 if I remember correctly.

I would get a 48" long Ridgerest Solite. It's lighter than the Z-lite, much warmer (R2.8 vs R2.2) and rolled up it is about the same size as my wife's 52" Z-lite. I have one and it weighs in at 8.9 oz vs. 10.4 for the Z-lite.

I would also bring an 1/8 Thinlight for 15F, but if you are a pretty minimal sleeper, you would probably do OK with just the ridge rest.

Andrew

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

EN test standards, R-5 for 20*F & thermoneutral (ie not losing heat). 4 or 5 thinlights stacked would get there. Might look at a shorty downmat 7 @ 21oz. Exped synmat ul7 at 15oz R 3.1 seems like it'd be warmer than big agnes' shorty insulated air core of R 4.1 (exped has insulation top & bottom vs top only). You could also combine a couple of solites… maybe a reg & a 3' section?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I don't think a 3/8" pad, z-lite, Ridge Rest, or Ridge Rest Solite will be warm enough, but they might be worth a test if time and temps allow.

As Brad said, look at the R value and get something around R 5 or greater. I use a full-length Exped Downmat 7 (R 5.9, 32 oz) once temps get in the 20's (F). A full-length pad is nice for colder temps, although a 3/4 length one might due depending on your height and typical sleeping position.

If you don't mind carrying a bulky pad, consider the Ridge Rest Solar, which has an R value of 3.5. It might not be warm enough, but it worked for Andrew Skurka in Alaska in temps below 0F. That was on snow, which provides some insulation itself.

Another pad to consider is a Thermarest Prolite Plus Women's at R 4.5.

You could of course always use evergreen boughs or piled up pine needles, leaves, or dead grass if you have the time and these are available without impacting live trees. :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools