Topic

primaloft one warmth question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear primaloft one warmth question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Erich Langner

@eclassic

im making a quilt from primaloft and 1.1 uncoated nylon. im wondering if a single layer of 3.0/oz primaloft one, which is maybe 5/8 of an inch thick, would be warm enough to stay warm to about 30 degrees. i usually sleep in lightweight base layer and nylon shells.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

im making a quilt … im wondering if a single layer of 3.0/oz primaloft one, which is maybe 5/8 of an inch thick, would be warm enough to stay warm to about 30 degrees

I tend to sleep warm and that wouldn't work for me.

I have two quilts, both using M90 fabric, one with 3oz Climashield Apex that is good to about 40F and another using "6oz" Primaloft One (but actually weighed out at about 5oz) that is good to about 25F. The two of them together is OK to about 0F. Apex and One offer about the same warmth per ounce.

But I'm curious, what is your source of 3oz Primaloft One?

Erich Langner

@eclassic

i got some from seattlefabrics.com. it was a bit expensive though. i wish i had done more research and bought the prequilted version.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If I wear a synthetic vest 5/8 inch, and a synthetic sleeping bag 1/2 inch I am a bit cold at 32 F.

I think I require less insulation than the average person to keep warm.

So, your 3 oz Primaloft would barely keep you warm at 30 F if you wore something similar inside your bag.

The pre-quilted version may end up weighing more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools