Topic

MYOG Down Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Down Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about a myog project. I am thinking about making a down vest, somewhere in warmth between the mb ul and mb alpine light. Using momentum 90 and 800 fill down.

I was wondering what other bits and pieces I will need, like what zippers people would recommend or whether the bottom or arm holes need to have elastic or anything.

Also, how much down do you guys think would be good?

Any one have or know where there are some decent ideas for such a project?

thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Their is a MYOG down vest on this site from a couple yrs back.

Elastic arm holes make a world of difference in preventing warmth from escaping. A necessity, IMO.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made something similar

5 ounces of 800 fill – 2.25 inch loft – might use 4 ounces next time

#5 coil zipper – but I'm thinking about #3 next time

Elastic on bottom to keep out drafts, nothing at armholes

Lane DeCost

@spamhere

Locale: Everglades

I have made several down vests, modifying and improving as I went along. This latest one is from M90 and Thru-hiker down (900?). I used about 4 grams per front panel and the loft was about 1 1/2 inches at center. It was made-to-order for a friend who wanted fleece-lined (Polartec 100), zippered, handwarmer pockets.

I used 7" YKK #3 zippers. I also used a 26" YKK #5 zipper on the front. (I usually use a #3, but I'm more gentle with my gear than my friend.) His collar is lined with micro-fleece and has a velcro neck closure added. It has a 3/32 elastic drawcord at the waist and uses tiny-toggles.

There is a modest 1 or 1 1/2" drop-tail at the back. No elastic at the sleeves. If I'm worried about heat loss I throw on a wind shell.

Let me know if you have other questions.Down Vest - Hybrid

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools