Topic

SHR logistics & re-supply questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SHR logistics & re-supply questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Hey everyone, we are looking for some more specific info with regards to our upcoming SHR trip. We have all the info we need with regards to the physical trip, ie maps, terrain et al, but now we are looking for some help in an area that neither Royal or I have ever dealt with. The re-supply….

So here are our few questions; (that invariably lead to many others!)

We were planning on picking up a re-supply at Red's, and that was it. It's expensive, but on the way, and reasonably close to "halfway". But now we are interested in exploring the possibility of using Mammoth, and of going so far as to pursue a possible "CHEAP" alternative, read is there someone there we could ship our stuff to and save money! Also, the question of fuel? With a re-suply, what is the protocol? Do we ship fuel, and send the whole thing ground? Do we buy fuel at the re-supply point? So for those of you veterans of the re-supply, we would appreciate any and all advice to make this smooth for us. Our starting date is tentativley set for Aug 1

We are also not adverse to hearing about any other re-supply options ie locations etc.

Thanks all!

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Locale: Greater LA area

Email sent with all relative info. I'll copy it here for future reference in case anyone else wants it. I don't think yogi will kill me for copying one town stop out of the guide.

As far as the resupply. Mammoth has a general post office which is free apart from postage to mail to (I'm dropping mine off on the way up to start my JMT hike with a friend). It's an easy hitch into town, or there's a bus for a nominal fee. Very well traveled road (I'm up there often so I'm familiar with it), and it's a pretty short hike out to it as well. Once in town there's a number of outdoor stores that will sell every kind of fuel you can imagine as well as a gas station to pick up heet, and a hardware store to pick up denatured alcohol. You can mail fuel with usps, as long as it's declared, and you ship it ground, and you package it right. The post office in town is also well aquatinted with hiker boxes because of all the JMT/PCT hikers that come through, so it's nothing unusual for them.

and since I happen to have the pct guidebooks with me because I'm planning everything for next year

Bus from reds meadow (no hitch required) will take you to the mammoth ski resort 7$ and runs every 1/2 hour from 7-7. Catch a free bus from there into town from there, and then a free trolley to get you everywhere around town

or take the side trail from reds meadow to mammoth lakes. Take the 1.7 mile side trail towards horseshoe lake. You can hitch in from there rather than paying the 7$ shuttle fee each way.

3.8 miles before the reds, leave the pct, walk a 4.9 mile side trail then catch a ride into town

Post office: 760-934-2205
    m-f 7:30-4
    closed sat

(Hiker name)
    General Delivery
    mammoth lakes, CA 93456
    Post offices are required to hold packages for 10 days IIRC minimum, and many will hold it up to 2-3 weeks if you have an estimated delivery date on there.

They have a full vons supermarket if you don't want to mail stuff ahead (very easy to get just about anything here, and it's decently cheap)

Outfitter: (among many in town)
    mammoth mountaineering supply
    760-934-4191
    8-8 everyday

Motel six is very hiker friendly:
    760-934-6660
    will hold packages if you decide to stay here

showers are available across the street from the campground or for free back at reds meadow (though questionable on the heat as they come from the hot springs)
    shady rest campground across from the mcdonalds near the south (only) entrance to town

Schat's bakery is worth a stop if you want some amazing pastries/bread/etc
    760-934-6055
    it's on main street just north of footloose. You can't really miss it, as it's the only real street in town

heet at napa auto parts
    760-934-3375

Denatured alcohol at do it center
    760-934-7112

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Steve – I am planning the SHR for this summer as well. We must have very different itineraries, because I am planning on resupplying at Bishop, VVR and Tuolumne. How many days are you planning? I will probably take 21-25 days to finish and didn't want to carry more than 7 days of food.

In terms of Red's vs. Mammoth, I would say do Red's if you are planning on shipping most stuff- if you go to Mammoth you can just spend a day in town and get everything you need.

Have you posted a gear list or itinerary anywhere?

Andrew

Steve S

@idahosteve

I was reading on the Red's website that they anticipate a 30 day ship time to get your stuff to them. Has anyone shipped here, and what did you allow for lead time, and what did it actually take?

Steve S

@idahosteve

I did post an ongoing "work in progress" gear list, and a similar itinerary on my website;
    http://www.getlostoffroad.com/In_the_Works.html

Emily Shirley

@goldenchild

Locale: Atlanta GA

The 30 days is for Parcel Post, which is different than flat rate/priority shipping.(Parcel is ground shipping and usually for large or heavy pkgs like books.) Flat rate/priority is the way to go for re-supply, however it sounds like there's two of you, and two peoples food would probably take two boxes… that would definitely jack up the cost of shipping. It would probably be cheaper to bus down to mammoth.

Try using: http://postcalc.usps.gov/Default.aspx

If you are doing Mammoth and could possibly arrive on a weekend plan to have your package forwarded, or call and mail it somewhere like Motel 6.(This works in most cases – might have to stay a night/pre-pay your room? or try a supply store-the guys are super cool.) Definitely do NOT use the mailing service near the Vons and theater. The owner is the only worker and he shows up fo 20% of the quoted open hours,… then he closes. He also charges based on the number of days he holds a package.

Hope this helps!!
    – Emily

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools