Topic

Recommendations for lightweight 2-person tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommendations for lightweight 2-person tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm in the market for a very lightweight 2-person tent or tarp+screen.

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 that weighs 46.7 oz with stakes and footprint. The headroom is listed at 38" peak. While not a huge issue, it is hard to move around in without getting really cozy with the sleeping partner! One needs to roll over to the side while the other gets situated.

I need the following:

• netting/insert for New England and black fly season!
    • Taller usable headroom than my current tent that claims peak height of 38"
    • sub 2lbs
    • Length at least 86" or longer to accommodate a long sleeping bag
    • I like the modular designs, allowing me to use tarp or net, but not a requirement

I've been looking at the HMG Echo II system in cuben with net, tarp, and beak that weighs 29.5 oz, claims 41" headroom A couple of reviewers have said that the inner net has much lower headroom than the tarp. True? It appears that this may be a bit narrow at the foot at 45". Does the net effectively serve as a double wall, making condensation less of an issue?

Another option is the SMD Haven + Innernet. This one is 90×48–do people find it too narrow for two big people? It is about 2.5 oz heavier than the HMG. How do you explain the weight difference between this and the cuben Echo?

I don't care for most of the 'mids, as when I'm hiking with my wife we have a double quilt (All the better for snuggling!) and can't have a pole in the center.

What are your thoughts? Are there others that I should consider as well?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Sub 2 lbs and a reasonably sized 2 person double wall tent are two things that are very hard to find in the same shelter. The HMG Echo II is not going to have the additional headroom you desire. The highest point in the inner net tent is immediately at the door and it just gets lower from there. Did you read the BPL review on the Echo II? I believe headroom was the primary weak point. I own an Echo I and headroom is definitely not its strong suit. I really like the shelter, but more headroom would be appreciated.

The SMD Haven is likely quite a bit better in this regard than the Echo II. They claim 45" of headroom and the highest point is right where you'd want it. It's also the same height from wall to wall (not just high in the center) so both people could sit up at the same time.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA
    Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

The Echo II's inner net does sag a bit, so it's definitely lower than the tarp. I think you can tighten it up a bit to regain some of the headroom lost to sag, but there's a limit to how much you'll get with that approach.

It's enough headroom for me, at 5'10 — at the front. I'd be able to cook in it, especially if I made sure to set the front pole to the recommended 48" length.

But like all tapered, cat-cut tarps, the headroom drops off as you move into the shelter.

Another option might be to get a square tarp with cat-cut sides like Lawson's over at Mountainfitter, and talk to the folks at Bearpaw to set yourself up with an inner tent that meets your needs.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

sub 2lbs with net in cuben fiber. not cheap

net dimensions:
    Long = 90"
    Wide = 50"
    Tall = 46"

tarp is bigger…

Clint Warner
    BPL Member

@kodipak

Locale: Salt Lake City

Tarptent Squall 2 or the Gossamer Gear Squall Classic would be my recommendations. If you must have the double wall, check out the Easton Kilo as it has a bigger vestibule, higher PU, and carbon poles.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Sorry, I cant contribute more, but I would like to toss in my 2cents about the duomid. I would recommend against the duomid for 2 person use, if you plan on using the duo-inner. We found the steep sloping sides to encroach too much on the living space to make it a comfortable two person shelter. We use the double rainbow for 3 Season, and shoulder season here in the NE, but unfortunately it's 2 1/2 lbs and not double walled as per your requests. As another poster mentioned, if you're okay with single skin, than the squall 2 almost fits the bill (2 ounces more than 2lbs, but 2 inches shorter than your desired length.

It's going to be tough finding a 2lb shelter that actually comfortably fits 2 full size adults (and their sleeping pads for that matter). Most 2lb shelters are more like 1.5 man tents, (aka palaces for 1). But as mentioned, if you're okay with 1/2lb more, take a look at the TT DR or the SMD Lunar Duo

Edit* Actually, I think Anna nailed it. I totally forgot about the LightHeart Duo. If you carry trekking poles, It's a solid bet. Not quite double wall, but pretty darn close (it's a similiar hybrid silnylon design seen in the TT DR, so you have 2 large silnylon panels that may collect condensation). Based on what I've read, I would go with this before the TT DR or the SMD Lunar Duo

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Though it does not quite fit your specs, you might want to try the Easton Kilo thread. The Kilo is very close to 2 lbs.

Dennis Wolfe

@lonewolfe

Locale: Salmon River Country, Idaho

You might want to check out the Lightheart Duo – 42" of headroom, plenty long and two doors. Two lbs in silnylon (w/o stakes or seam sealing) and much lighter in Cuben.

http://lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo.html

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

This is an interesting tent, but would it be improved with a vent at the top of the fly?

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Hexamid Duo is another option.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools