Topic

Pacific northwest adventure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Pacific northwest adventure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

Just returned from doing some backpacking and hiking in the Olympic Natonal Park, Hoh River trail. We were only able to backpack as far as the Olympic Ranger Station. Lewis Meadow was closed due to bears picnicking on an elk carcass and the trail was too deep in snow to get up to Elk Lake. We camped at Olympic and started out the next day to try to hike up to Hoh Lake. We got as far as a mile from the top and had to turn back because we were thigh high in snow on the trail. On the return to camp the snow began and boy did it snow! We got 7 inches of snow at 900 feet elevation. Totally unexpected! It was beautiful and the deer walked right up to our camp which we had relocated to the emergency shelter. Hiked out the next day in snow to our boot tops. Glad I brought the microspikes. I almost walked right I to a herd of Elk as I rounded a curved just past Five Mile Camp. There was a huge blowdown right at five mile but the trail crew had blazed a route around it and the loggers were working on cutting through it when we hike out. Also saw hundreds of bear tracks in the snow on the way out! Not the trip we had hoped for but very special just the same. Thanks to some good advice I got from people on this forum this Louisiana gal had all the right gear and it all performed extremely well.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Interesting trip! I'm considering a trip there later this year. It's those unexpected challenges that really make a trip fun for me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools