Topic

Man Vs. Wild

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Man Vs. Wild

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

"Bear is a show-off who is going to get a novice killed by showing some cool, entertaining TV without the novice having any real knowledge to see themselves through some of the obviously staged settings Bear shows up in. I'm not saying Bear doesn't have the background, but the format of his show is pretty dangerously limited in terms of passing on comprehensive knowledge." -Shawn Basil

I agree especially based on watching his Alps episode and his Moab desert canyon episode.

I much prefer watching Survivorman both because I find it more realistic and because I appreciate the fact that not only is the guy surviving, he is doing all of his own camera work (and hauling his own multiple cameras, tripods, tapes, and batteries) and still produces outstanding videography.

I don't object to Bear having a TV crew with him.

However, I especially admire Les "survivorman" Stroud's ability to get creative and oustanding shots when he is cold, exhausted, and hungry. When I am cold, exhausted, and hungry is when I'm least likely to even pull out my SLR.

ps I am watching Man v Wild right now (watching the moronic Moab canyon/desert episode where he hippity hops up slick canyon walls and umps off of rock faces).

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Could it be that Vlad Putin has found a way back into the Forums??? Or, is it the "Son of Vlad"??? [Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Forums!]

Greyson, you hit the nail on the head, and to quote some advice my mother gave me when i was a wee laddie: "Leave that alone! Don't pick a scab it will get infected." Might be appropriate advice here. [Bearpaw, this comment isn't targeting your Post. IMO, your unique background and experience qualifies you to Post the words that you did. It's difficult to argue with someone who truly knows, from personal, first-hand experience like yours. Thanks for taking the risk of "drawing fire". "Corpsman Up!". They also would draw fire. You're in good company. Semper Fi.]

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In the rockies episode, he ate that snake right by where he slept. An animal comes into camp because of that mistake and he got scared and bolted in the middle of the night. He admitted not having much bear expirience…lol.

mark henley

@flash582

Bear seems to always follow a gully to a stream, to a river, and to civilization.

What's everyone's opinion …. is this a good plan?

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"Bear seems to always follow a gully to a stream, to a river, and to civilization.

What's everyone's opinion …. is this a good plan?"

A thought on this. In the massive majority of cases, it's very difficult to walk far in most civilized countries without hitting a road. Also in most cases, if you get lost, you still have some clue, maybe even a map, to give you an idea of where a trail or road might be, if you can only follow a somewhat straight line for a while.

I would gladly follow a trail or road before I would follow streams for one simple reason: blowdowns. Streams are arbitrarily (due to gravity) in the lowest portions of an area, and typically are choked with downed trees and brush, especially in areas with significant rains and floodplain issues. Also, a stream may wind back and forth on itself for 3 miles and over cover a half-mile straight-line distance. And I suspect the likelihood of reaching civilization, or at least reorienting yourself, is likely to be quicker via roads than by following rivers.

Lastly, it's often better to sit in one spot and conserve energy and tend to immediate survival needs, assuming folks are going to miss you reasonably soon versus tromping through an unknown area. However, this doesn't make for good television.

But if I were blindfolded and dropped in unknown territory with no clue where I was, I suppose following a river until I hit a road would make reasonable sense.

paul johnson

@pj

Following a river was something that was done a long, long time ago. Villages were often built near rivers (generally beyond reasonable flood level). The chances of running into civilization was more likely by following a river (but would they be friendly???). Not sure of its applicability today.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"Corpsman Up!". They also would draw fire. You're in good company. Semper Fi."

PJ, should I take it you were a greenside doc? Corpsmen were some of the most loyal, brave, and resourceful folks I've ever been priviledged to know.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Resourceful? Dang straight! I was taught one of the first emergency tracheotomies was performed by a Navy Corpsman using a fountain pen bladder (though I can't verify this). Brave? Most decorated rating in the US Armed Forces (according to Wikipedia article on Corpsmen). And frankly, they're all wonderful, intelligent, and incredibly good looking!

Tom
    Former HM3/USN
    (blueside only unfortunately)

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>What's everyone's opinion …. is this a good plan?

I think if you sat down and had a cup of tea you could come up with a better plan. Where I hike streambeds are the roughest terrain, and are often impassible or worse. I'd rather head for a ridgeline where I might get a view.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

>What's everyone's opinion …. is this a good plan?

""Always" is pretty broad for a criterion", the lawyer told me. (bd?)

If you need water or food, following the stream or stream bed is likely a better approach than wander on the top or side of a hill.

If you want to attract attention, be it via shouting, waving, signal mirror, smoke, cell, sat phone or most any other method, the high ground offers distinct advantages.

MikeB

john rather

@meangean

I'm sorry but the person with the screen name "you suck" has a point. Hey buddy, the guy who spent 10 years in the Marines. I have spent longer with forest recon and Bear is doing nothing wrong. He is not a show off and his things are not staged. Have any of you backpackers actually have gone to Discovery.com and read anything about him? Have you actually read anything about the man? Also, Greyson Howard why don't you be professional or act like a man when debating with someone? There are always two sides to a story. Stop throwing personal insults at somebody you don't even know man. You sound like a liberal. Especially with your real name posted in the forum. You might want to watch what you type. The same goes for the guy with the dwarf from lord of the rings. Were all men here. Let people voice their opinions. Msgt R.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

You spent 10 years with Forest Recon? That's funny, because I always heard it as Force Recon. I knew a couple Force Recon Docs, so I figure I got it right. However, our Marine friend here will know for certain. Yet somehow, I think our "you suck" friend posted again. I might be wrong though.

The guy from Man vs. Wild might know a thing or two, sure. However, he also does stupid stuff that could get the rank and file person killed.

Tom

J R

@ravenul

Forest Recon? No such thing. You would know that if spent even a day in the Marines. For that matter, you would know that if you typed in "Forest Recon" in a google search. First rule to being a liar – make sure your lies have at least the air of believability. Who are you trying to kid, kid? Go troll elsewhere.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Hey, give the guy(s) a break. Who said it was in the Marines? Besides, you ***can*** make $9.50 an hour in "Forest Recon", in Wisconsin, October – March.
    See: http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/grad/careers/ejo/september/ejo912.htm

"Effort includes: Updating the Forest Recon records, reinventory all stands with data older than 15 years or planned for harvest in the next ten years, process recon changes. " You might need a parka or 2.
    Sounds like a great job for YS.

I wonder, are the IP posting addresses of YS and John Rather possibly the same? ;)

MikeB

J R

@ravenul

I wonder if that $9.50 comes with the Master Sergeant rank?

Naw… the rank probably came out of a cracker jack box.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I know it's fun to poke holes in a troller's post, but you are just adding fuel to the flame. Ignoring this type of poster is the only way to get them to go away.

mark henley

@flash582

I didn't choose the path of serving this great country with military service, but I have had the distinct pleasure of being able to lead former servicemen in the civilian sector.

One thing that I've found is that former servicemen have no problem telling you their opinion, but it's always from a very respectful, fact centered, well thought out position and never from an emotional viewpoint.

The thought that "you suck" would have actually served our country is an insult to all of those who sacrificed their time, their energy, and possibly even their lives for the freedom that he abuses by trolling here in this forum. To pretend to have held the honorable title of US serviceman is an insult to the entire US and all of it's citizens.

My compliments to those of you that served to help protect my family and my freedom …. some of us more than appreciate what you've done for us.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Hartford, WI is just North of Milwaukee. It's a nice place but it certainly ain't the Northwoods of Wisconsin. it's right off of 60… I drive through there on a regular basis.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Here Here Mr. Henley! You said it very well! I'd even go so far to say the vast majority of us appreciate their efforts.

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

Yep… I was a Space Shuttle Door Gunner… so there! ;-)

evan parsons

@freestyleparsons

Locale: Dowtown LA

Seriously, I got hooked on the show, watched 6 episodes in 2 days, and I can't stop thinking about it. It's one of those "suspend your disbelief" things.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

edited; no point in feeding the trolls

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Backtracking to the question of stream vs. ridgline, I think it is often possible to do both simultaneously. Usually streams and rivers carve a valley down the hill, with a ridge on each side. By walking on top of one of the ridges, you avoid ankle-stessing sidehilling, you avoid all the growth and fallen trees and rocky waterfalls at the bottom of the canyon, yet you stay close to the water of the stream. And, the stream may meander, but you won't end up walking in circles.

paul johnson

@pj

In Maine they sometimes say "Ya cann't get the'ere from he're".

So, it is with a ridge to a stream. Make sure one examines the countour lines of the topo map, or is a skiled climber with all the necessary equipment. Five hundred feet down over 50' or so, for example, makes for quite a descent.

Just one other facet to the puzzle.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I don't consider the dense forests of New England part of what I call "the civilized wilderness." You barbarians can bash around in your Devil-cursed woods, ski on ice instead of snow, etc.,etc., but a truly civilized and enlightened Homo sapien sapien does most of his woodsy activities in the Sierra Navada, as did John Muir. The Sierras range is the "Range of Light," New England is the home of witches. We are grown adults out here, and I don't hear anything you say, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools