Topic

Mylar emergency bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Mylar emergency bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I carry the Heetsheets version (3.5 oz), which I use as a backpack liner and ground cloth. It's also useful to cover up the bottom half of my sleeping bag to keep off the rain. I can thus huddle down to the bottom of my tarp or tarptent to keep the rain off my head and upper torso. (I've never used it to cover the whole bag so that too much internal moisture will not accumulate.)

Oh, yes, and I can also use it inside my bag if my sleeping bag is inadequate to keep me warm.

It's tough as nails, so it can stand quite a bit of abuse even from repeated uses.

BTW, I just fold it up and put it in the knapsack when I'm not using it as a bag liner.

I've pretty much eliminated stuff sacks that way — including the one that formerly held my shelter. Small stuff like medical supplies (what few I have of them) and personal items all go in the same cuben-fiber sack.

Stargazer

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Mylar makes a great rainskirt as well.
    Many uses for an item that weighs next to nothing.

Polycryo used for storm windows has very similar properties.

I keep a sheet in my kit when I lead kayak trips. It has many uses.
    I have used one as emergency shelter and/or wrap for near hypothermia situations a couple times.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I'm thinking about cutting out a stretch about 2' x 5 ' on the top and taping or gluing in a section of one of those frogg toggs 2.8 oz emergency ponchos as a breathable top panel.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-rainwear-jackets-parkas-frogg-toggs-driducks-emergency-poncho.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=1160472&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=25106562-FF0E-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools