Topic

Which Umbrella?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Umbrella?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

Hey guys, so I am looking to try backpacking with an umbrella but am unsure of which ones to look at. As of now, I know of Golite umbrellas and Mont-bell but am looking for more companies as well. For the umbrella users which umbrella do you use and any particular reason why you chose that certain one??

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have one of the original Golite umbrellas. It is 9.2oz/260g.

The concept is just like any other UL gear– maximum performance at minimum weight. The Golite I have follows the recommendations of Ray Jardine for an umbrella with a simple design and low weight. It has a solid main shaft, which is strong, but it is always 25" long. I am not familiar with the current GoLite models.

The GoLite Chrome Dome model can provide sun and rain protection. The one I'm using is a light khaki color, so it can work for sun too.

BirdiePal is another brand used by hikers. Note that Prolitegear.com has several models: http://www.prolitegear.com/birdiepal_swing_liteflex.html

I found a ShedRain model that is very light and compact, but also more mechanically complex and more fragile. I found it in a thrift store for a few dollars. 6.9oz/195g, 11 inches long when stowed and the canopy is 38" across– the same as the GoLite.

It is hard to shop for light umbrellas on the web as they rarely list the weights.

Umbrellas can provide rain protection with maximum breathability. If you use trekking poles, you would have to stash one while using the umbrella. You can use them while cooking and a partial beak for the front of a tarp tent. I don't use mine much as I like two trekking poles and the umbrella weighs about what my rain shell does. I would chalk umbrella use up to personal preference with emphasis towards use in desert conditions for shade and the incidental benefit of rain protection. They do make for more weight and will fail in high winds, which is really where you want good rain protection.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

I have the Mont Bell, it works…but it is small and the wind can turn it inside out really easy. I hear good things about these http://www.prolitegear.com/birdiepal_light_trek_umbrella.html but I've never carried one.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

umbrella, Birdiepal, Tiny Emergency Travel Umbrella, 147 g
    umbrella, GoLite, Dome Trekking Umbrella, twilight blue, 216 g

Steve Robinson
    BPL Member

@jeannie-2

Golite chrome dome is a godsend when hiking up an exposed ridge midday in the full sun of summer!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Has anyone tried BirdiePedal's hands-free umbrella yet?

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

I have both the golite and the reflective birdipal swinglite. The Birdiepal is superior in my opinion and I have relegated the golite to the kids. Just my .02c

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Hey Edward, what about the birdipal is better? And which model do you have of birdiepal?

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

If you could only have one. I'd get a GoLite Dome Chrome.

http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi

This is the company that makes the umbrella GoLite sells. More colors and they DO have a hands free model. Clips to hip/sternum strap for hands free operation.

edit: liteflex is the same model as the GoLite umbrellas

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

>Hey Edward, what about the birdipal is better? And which model do you have of birdiepal?<

Samuel, I'm not Edward, but I do use a Birdipal Liteflex Swing.

What is better- well I've put this through the wringer over the last 3 years and it is a very durable umbrella. I have the Silver and use it in the desert as shade and in the rain as – well.. an umbrella.

For fun check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3oyTyWq9_I

Happy Trails,
    -Mark

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

It seams like reviews of the Birdiepal differ from place to place and many seem to say that getting it to latch on to being fully raised can be a problem when it is new. Some people say it gets better with age and then deploys well. Others say it turns inside out easily but takes it OK. What are your thoughts on this and where did you buy yours and when? There is always the question of a bad batch , or things not being worn in. Thanks, John

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love Birdiepal. There is a review of these umbrellas on this site. Enjoy!

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

Have the Sea to Summit. 8.2 oz – 9.5" packed 38" dia.
    Never used it packing but it works good going to and from the truck.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

John,

Bought mine about 3 years ago, I think from ProLite. Never had any trouble with it collapsing. Have flipped it inside out once in a high wind. Flipped right back none the worse for the ware. I use mine a lot in Oregon for the rain and then when I moved back to Texas I use it a lot for the sun. Got the Silver one, supposed to reflect the heat better. On a recent trip to Big Bend with temps to 103.2 F I used it the whole time. As to improving with age, I never had a problem and it still works fine. I think they run about $30 for the silver and $5 cheaper for the other colors.

-Mark

P.S. Read Doug's umbrella review. Good Stuff!

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

I was wondering if the fixed length umbrellas are stronger than collapsible or does it not really matter? I definitely like the collapsible option for stowing away in my pack but am concerned that maybe it is not as strong as the non-collapsible. For those that do use the fixed length umbrellas do you stow it on the outside of your pack? And if so would you be worried about damaging it?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Samuel,

Mine is fixed length. I have a long mesh pocket on the side of my pack where I stow my tent or hammock and I can slip the umbrella in along side ready for use if I need it. No worries about damage. I really like my Birdiepal and the fixed length hasn't been a problem, but almost any of the umbrellas listed here are going to do a good job for you. The SnowPeak UL looks pretty interesting, the GoLIte, Sea-to-Summit, and Montbell makes one, too. I do like the ones that are silvered to reflect the heat so I get dual use in sun and rain, but you have some really great choices here.

-Mark

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools