Topic

Need Help w/ UL Wind Jacket…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need Help w/ UL Wind Jacket…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dan Bigley

@youngwalker

Hey guys, I am looking for some suggestions for an UL wind jacket/shirt. I'm looking for something to take with my on the AT for this summer/fall. The problem is, I worry that alot of the UL wind jackets are TOO light and will not provide any real warmth (if any at all). I want something to throw on for overcast summer days (and fall) and something that can provide SOME warmth on the colder nights. Can anyone drop some knowledge on the situation? :) Thanks guys.

Recommendations would be great as well! Thank you.

keith Adkins

@kwa3535

Locale: East Nasty

Marmot driclim windshirt

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I picked up a Montane Featherlite wind smock recently and love it. All wind jackets will inherently be light weight and won't have nearly as much insulating abilities as a light weight fleece or base layer. That being said, the Featherlite does layer well, and wearing it over a base layer and under a light down jacket is about all the clothing I need for temps down to around freezing. It weighs just 5.4oz too!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

is not what a wind jacket is for … you buy a light puffy or fleece for that

driclime is more of a softshell and the microfleece is more for wicking than warmth

want a "warm" wind jacket? … buy a softshell, it just wont be too UL

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Agree with eric, you don't buy a wind jacket for warmth. it'll keep you a bit warmer while moving, simply because you're inhibiting air flow, but it's not designed to add warmth, especially at night for sleeping.

Dan Bigley

@youngwalker

I guess I should rephrase that, I'm not looking for a WARM wind-jacket I just don't want it to be virtually useless besides breaking a 5mph wind gust.

The Montane Featherlight looks very nice and the price is right too! Now if I could track down someone who sells it would be even better (everywhere is out of stock). Also, you mentioned it weighs 5.4oz but its advertised at 3.5? Any comments on this?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Warmth can be obtained from cutting windchill and/or insulating against ambient temps. Wind shirts help warm (to some degree) by cutting windchill, but they are not meant to be insulation against low ambient temps.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Dan, perhaps the weight is for size medium without the stuff sack? I have size large, and the 5.4oz. includes the weight of the stuff sack. Backcountry.com has all sizes in red and blue for $69, although I think I found mine on sale for $50, can't remember where though. I can't imagine ever NOT putting this in my pack, it's just a perfect wind shirt, nothing more, nothing less.

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

I wanted something without a hood so i got a Montane Marathon jacket – full zip. Loving this windshirt.

Dan Bigley

@youngwalker

I haven't decided whether I want a hood or not on my jacket. I usually wear a bandana so on the hood, I may pass. Actually, I'm not even sure I like the raised collar on the Montane jacket. I feel it may get annoying rubbing on my neck?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I second the Marmot Driclim windshirt. It does have a very mild amount of insulation (not just a shell) but not much. IMO it's an excellent lightweight choice and is my primary outer layer when running in cold weather or for warmth above treeline in the summer. By warmth I mean it cuts the wind. If you moving that's all you need.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Loved wearing my Marmot Driclime while backpacking in winter winds, … loved it so much the arms are ragged with cactus punctures, so it may become a vest. The best option if you are going the lined wind shirt route, though they now have a hooded Ether windshirt at 8 oz that IIRC is lined with Driclime – wish they'd make it in gray. Patagonia had a similar Alpine Light windshirt in a nice gray but discontinued.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools