Topic

Want a source for waterproof paper for journal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Want a source for waterproof paper for journal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I like to journal, especially on solo trips. I'm looking for a cheap, lightweight option. Thinking I could make my own journal cheaper than what's commercially available.
    Does anyone know of a good source for paper? I found a military site with Rite in the Rain paper,just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
    Thanks,
    Leigh

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The riteintherain paper is pretty good. They sell sheets that are more economical than the books.

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=8511&Category=c2cb25d1-ee4c-4543-afb3-19d1549f29b8

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Light and cheap? Can you keep it simple with a simple notebook and quart/gallon sized ziplock? Chances are, if it's going to rain anyway, you're already packing waterproofing for the sensitive contents in your pack?

Depending on how much writing you plan on doing, you might consider putting together your own. A small variety of shipping "envelopes" (bags, really) are made from similar material–as the Rite-in-rain–and the plain-white inside can be used. IIRC, in the past, UPS (or was it USPS?) would give you lots of these bags/envelopes [free] if requested; I'll let you decide on the ethics of that if they are willing.

Either way, unless you're using a pencil, you may want to experiment with different ink pens. I've found that some inks stay put and some don't, regardless of the paper type.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I too love writing when I'm camping. I generally use the lean-to journals that are there, and take a photo of each page I write (as well as photos of some of the more interesting entries). That way my entry stays for others to read, but I also have a copy. Hows that for light weight eh?

Ginger Allman

@gindavall

Locale: Ozarks

I found these notebooks at Walgreens that are made of "stone paper". It's pretty much the same things as the Rite in the Rain paper but MUCH cheaper.

The paper does not tear, so I assume it's actually a plastic, but it takes ink beautifully. Pencil not so good. It's completely and utterly waterproof. It's a bit heavier than a normal notebook at the same size, but it's still plenty usable. I keep one in my kayak for doodling while my husband tries to catch fish.

I've found them at Walgreens but apparently you can order them online as well.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/oxford-earth-care-stone-paper-note-book/ID=prod6000650-product

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Like Aaron said, cheap/lightweight = ziplock. Doesn't need a NASA solution.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I believe I have at least one, and maybe two, of the small notebooks they sell on BPL that I'll give you for free – if you join BPL! FWIW.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

That's a great incentive doug! Now i may be inclined to purchase a lifelong membership if you threw in a MLD cricket!

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"Depending on how much writing you plan on doing, you might consider putting together your own. A small variety of shipping "envelopes" (bags, really) are made from similar material–as the Rite-in-rain–and the plain-white inside can be used. IIRC, in the past, UPS (or was it USPS?) would give you lots of these bags/envelopes [free] if requested; I'll let you decide on the ethics of that if they are willing."

AFAIK, taking free envelopes and not using them to mail stuff is mail fraud or something like that. A few years back there was a heated discussion on another forum where someone posted instructions on how to make "free" tyvek stuff sacks from them.

I don't know what the odds are that one would get caught. It's your conscience…

BM

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Right, BM. Hence my comment, "I'll let you decide on the ethics of that if they are willing." Even if it isn't officially mail fraud, it's not far removed from taking condiments from restaurants for camping purposes (but that's another thread that's been done, of course).

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Ginger that's a great find! I was in SW AR last weekend and the humidity was so high that even taking my notepad out of a baggie in camp it was damp!

Doug, I actually was a member until just recently, I didn't renew because at the time I was cutting corners, wasn't sure if I'd have a job next year (I'm a teacher in TX, and the state budget is a mess.) The good news is I've been offered a contract for one more year…they actually think the year after is going to be worse :(

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Rite in the Rain paper,

Good stuff. Reviewed here too.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools