Topic

Pay to camp in Maine parks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Pay to camp in Maine parks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

In doing my research for my upcoming journey, I came across this on the website for Baxter State Park in Maine:

"Backcountry Camping Fee Change: Backcountry leantos and tentsites are now available for $20/night."

Huh? I wasn't aware that tent sites and lean-to's cost to use! So no "150 feet from trails/water sources" in Maine like you can in NY state?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

The rules and regulations for Baxter aren't applicable to the rest of Maine…

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

A, thats a relief, and B, so I'm correct then in assuming you cannot camp at will x amount of feet away from trails and water in Baxter?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I've never been to Baxter, but the rules limit backcountry camping to lean-tos and tentsites. Looks like you can't set up a tent next to a lean-to either…

Brian Turner

@phreak

Baxter is strict on their camping policy. There are a ton of stealth spots if one wanted to go that route.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

My thoughts exactly. They don't have enough rangers on staff to patrol that much wilderness. 500 ft from trails and water should be fine, what with my green tent and all.. I'll balance the karma budget by cleaning up any garbage I find at actual campsites. Usually do that anyway but I'll carry extra trash for having gone the stealth route.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Yeah, Baxter is pretty strict with their camping policy, but that's because it's technically not a state park and gets no money from the state government if I recall correctly. It's all usage fees and a trust fund created by Gov Baxter when the park was created. The camping fees do make life very difficult for solo backpackers, although I think the fee is per site, so if you go with buddies you can split the cost down to a reasonable amount.

Greg, where are you coming from and what's the journey? There are a few other places nearby that make for great backpacking trips without needing to worry about dodging rangers and fees. The Grafton Loop Trail, the 100 Mile Wilderness, and the Bigelow Preserve are all spectacular, and with the exception of one campsite and parking area on the GLT there are no fees.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Hey Ryan. I'll be spending time in the ADK before moving on to Maine for about three weeks in July/August. I had my eyes on Baxter simply because I love mountains and is there any cooler mountain than Katadhin!? I plan on climbing her from every slope, especially the knife edge! If I have to dodge rangers, so be it. The 100MW might be beyond my physical capabilities w/o resupply. And I only travel solo now, too many trips ruined by people who flake or are injury-prone. Nor could I reasonably expect someone to follow me around for 2.5 months of wilderness greatness!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

"and is there any cooler mountain than Katadhin!?"

True. Good point.

I'll still recommend the Grafton Loop Trail, because Sunday River Whitecap and Bald Pate are also super cool mountains, and it's a 40 mile loop with no need to be stealthy. Same with the Bigelow range. If you've got plenty of time, they're well worth the addition to your itinerary.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Looking at reports and photos from the GLT, I'm taking you up on that. Added to the itinerary! Time is not going to be a factor at all actually. I have between 4-5 months of hiking ahead of me (four if I decide to roadtrip to Yosemite in Sept).

Douglas Wolf
    BPL Member

@munnin

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Thanks for the suggestions of alternative multi-day routes in ME.

I was also considering a 3-4 day circuit in BSP for late summer, but am not down for paying 20/night for a backcountry site (30 for a campground site) for just myself. It would be worth it if I could get 3 others that would be willing to put up the cash in advance for their spot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools