Topic

Backpacking Near Winter Park, CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking Near Winter Park, CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben Sinclair
    BPL Member

@bensinc

I'd like to plan a backpacking trip near Winter Park, CO, as the train runs right through there. Does anyone have suggestions for a 2-4 night trip this spring/early summer? I'm not too familiar with the area yet.

Thanks!

Ben Sinclair
    BPL Member

@bensinc

On second thought after checking the weather, I think Winter Park might still be fairly cold and snowy even into June.

The train (California Zephyr) goes through Denver as well, so maybe there are some good choices near there?

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Hi Ben,
    Generally early June at high elevations will still have significant snow, especially in the trees and on north facing slopes. You'd likely need snowshoes and snow safety skills. Most if it will be navigable by the end of June. The lower elevations clear earlier of course.
    Are you looking to take the train, get off at one of its stops, and backpack from there without any other transportation?
    Tim

Ben Sinclair
    BPL Member

@bensinc

Hi Tim, I wasn't really looking for snow, so that might not be the best place to go in June!

Being able to hit the trail right from the train would be ideal, but I'm sure we could rent a cheap car and drive a little. The train is just a really easy way to get there from Iowa!

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Ok. Here is my suggestion.
    First, come late in June.
    Take the train to Glenwood Springs. The ride through the Rockies is outstanding.
    You can take a bus from there to Aspen http://www.rfta.com/valley.html.
    They used to run a bus from downtown up to Maroon Lake, they probably still do.
    From there you have direct access to The Maroon Bells – Snowmass Wilderness, some to the finest in the state.
    Tim

http://www.summitpost.org/four-pass-loop/327228

Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

I was considering the 4 pass loop as well around the same time, and everyone is telling me that the passes will still have several feet of snow even toward the middle to end of june, and the creek crossing will be very high. That area is at 125% annual snowpack this year, and snow stays late in the Elks. Does that sound right Tim?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

The northern half of the state had a major snow year. Take a look at the pictures in this trip report from just a few days ago on Pyramid Peak (4 Pass Loop area near Aspen). Obviously a lot melting will take place over the next four weeks but I can pretty much guarantee that significant snow will still be present on passes and shaded areas well into June.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9850

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Agree. Late June would be better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools