Topic

Suggestions for ultralight camp shoes under 4 ounces.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggestions for ultralight camp shoes under 4 ounces.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Locale: Santa Cruz County, CA

Hi everybody,

I have had a hard time finding good quality camp style shoes and or flip flops that are really light and compact. I have a pair of crocks that are really heavy and bulky for my style of camping. Any suggestions?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

You could just wear some light, comfortable trail runners, and ditch the camp shoes altogether. Anything you don't carry weighs nothing!

Seriously, since dropping the heavy boots, I really haven't felt the need for camp shoes.

(Sort of a quote from Mike Clelland!)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

try "pool shoes"…mine are about four ounces. They have a firm enough bottom to be serviceable for river crossings (which is why I carry them.)

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

I can't vouch for the durability of them yet but Ikea has some night time slippers/sandal thing and they practically weigh nothing & for $2.49 for a pair I'll give them a try. According to the website they weigh 0.1kg converted to ounces its 3.52739 oz. I just picked them up yesterday and will try them at the ADZPCTKO this weekend and if I like them I will bring them on my 4.5 day backpacking trip the following weekend. I'll give you a report a.s.a.p.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10195629

You might also try some flojo's

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked up a pair of these on impulse a few months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-Tent-Shoes/dp/B003C4MCAM

They are taped nylon shoes covers that are supposed to go over your shoes when you go into a tent. My idea was to glue them (gorilla glue? fabric glue?) to some flip-flop soles, but the flip-foles I bought at Target were still 4 or 5 oz with the toe straps cut off. Together, that's basically the same as a pair of crocs. So now I'm thinking about glueing them to some insoles. The cover has elastic to hold them around your ankle, but I'm not sure I'd trust them to cross a river in.

Basically, just one of those winter-doldrum projects that I don't really need to do. : )

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Vincere Grip Socks … 3.4oz in size XL

Looks like they now come in a few other colors.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Breathable trail runners for river crossings.

For camp?

The walmart foamy option is fairly durable (about 20 nights of heavy use, but a pad will make about a dozen pairs), very stable, ridiculously cheap and ultra comfortable. About 1oz for the pair.

Step 1: Buy $4 Walmart blue foamy sleeping pad

Step 2: Trace your foot and add little less than a cm all around (you can trim to fit later, though I find a little extra is kind of nice and you don't trip over it), and add wings so that when folded up together it looks like an Adidas shower sandal

Step 3: Cut foam

Step 4: Apply 1 piece of duct tape across the top – you may have to shorten the wings after trying on to get a tight fit.

Voila:

a

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"About 1oz for the pair."

Check and see if they are really that light.

–B.G.–

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

A

QED

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Great. What is the thickness of the blue foam?

–B.G.–

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

It's the standard walmart sleeping pad – I'd say about 5/8"

David Wills

@willspower3

good shoes. The heel goes flat pretty quick on the blue foam though. Would heels from insoles make a good hybrid camp shoe?

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I don't usually do camp shoes, but I wear some insoles that I've turned into huaraches with some extra cord. Under 3 oz (~2.75 oz on what I assume is an inaccurate kitchen scale). I wear them on short day hikes and around town all the time. I used heavy paracord that I had around and thats the bulk of the weight. You could go lighter.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

I've got an old, beat-up foamy in the closet right now just waiting for this project…

Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your feedback. Chris's use of a Walmart sleeping pad for sandals is a really good idea. I like doing MYOG projects so I probably will try that out. Anyway anymore suggestions for ultralight camp shoes. Thanks.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

I've found that the insole option works too, as does using a Z-lite with some cord, but the cord can be a hassle and they end up being a bit heavier. The foamies do need replacing after some use, but they are so cheap, and ultimately I think they're much more comfortable and secure (I found with the cord variety, I was walking carefully to ensure they stayed on).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Another reason for the blue foam shoes (not blue suede shoes)…
    When you purchase a rolled-up blue foam pad at the store, it is generally longer and wider than what a true BPL member would want, so it needs to be trimmed down anyway. Just plan it so that you end up with shoe-size pieces.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Not sure how minimalist you want, but taking the insoles out of my trailrunners works great in camp (with a little limitation).

I just wrap spare cord around in a "Jesus-sandals" kind of thingy around the insole and forefoot, then around my ankle. You don't want to hike in them or explore too much – but around the campsite they're perfect.

Weight: a few grams of cord.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Oh – and I really like the blue foam flipflops. I recommend sizing them to fit over socks for warmth in camp. Still fit well enough when drying the socks out, too.

Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Hi Todd,

Good idea with little or no weight penalty. Though I am looking for camp shoes with some padding, I like Chris's MYOG pair. Anyway thanks.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I picked up a pair of Acorn Travel Slippers from REI. Little of 4oz and comfortable.

http://www.rei.com/product/797595/acorn-tech-travel-moc-ii-slippers-mens

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I don't bring camp shoes, but I've been thinking of taking a pair of booties to slip on over my socks when I wake up for night-time relief. Obviously they would only protect against moisture and not stubbing toes. Normally I'd just slip on my trail runners, but if they're wet, they can get my sleep socks damp. I'm also going to try hiking in some KSO Treks, and those are not the easiest to put on in the dark in the middle of the night.

. ,

Dan Momii
    Spectator

@danmomii

Thanks Mark, I will check those out on the REI website.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Worth considering – http://www.zemgear.com/

I wish they would come out with their new models.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools