Topic

Short torso small backpack with frame

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Short torso small backpack with frame

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sara C
    BPL Member

@sarac

Locale: Missouri

I have a short torso and narrow shoulders, and I am looking for a backpack with less capacity than my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. I feel like I have looked at just about everything and haven't found something that fits. Here are my requirements:

1. 16 inch torso. Nearly all of the fixed length packs I have tried are to long even if 16 is in the range.
    2. Must have a frame. I used to have a Mountainsmith Seraph and the hoop was not enough of a frame for me. My gear was slightly heavier then, but not that much.
    3. Narrow shoulder straps. I have the "trim" straps on the Nimbus Ozone and they fit just right.
    4. 40-45 L capacity. The Nimbus Ozone is huge for 95% of my trips, and if I switch from a Prolite Plus to an air pad it will have even more empty space. Also I don't like how far it extends out from my back. Need something smaller and narrower.
    5. Strongly prefer no lid or removeable lid.
    6. Prefer a back pocket or bungee cord so I can carry a foam sit pad with easy access.
    7. 3 pounds or less. Ideally a lot less but that doesn't seem to be available.
    8. No bright colors, especially pink or purple — looking at you, Granite Gear Escape AC 40 Ki. I know I shouldn't care, but I just can't buy a pack with that hideous color. I would consider the men's version but need to know if the shoulder straps are narrow enough, and Granite Gear is not answering my email.

Here's what I've tried:

Gossamer Gear Gorilla Small — Too long even though 16" is supposed to be upper limit of torso range, and the shoulder straps were not comfortable
    REI Flash 50 — Too long, and hurt my lower back
    Black Diamond Astral 40 — Too long
    Gregory Inyo 45 XS — Painful, pulled back a lot when packed exactly the same as the Nimbus Ozone
    Deuter ACT Zero 45+10 — Hip belt is too wide and dug into my rib cage
    Golite Litespeed — Very small capacity and didn't fit right

Is there anything I've missed?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What about the BPL Absaroka?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I really don't like the bright orange color. And the back bungee/side pockets combination is also not really ideal for how I carry things. I would like a wider bungee area to fit my sit pad under, and smaller side pockets so I can carry a 1 L Platypus on each side without them sliding back. But the color is the main reason. I have blaze orange for deer and turkey seasons, and the rest of the time I do not want to be so visible. I guess I'm too picky; I already suspected that.

Sorry, forgot I was logged in with the other account. I am also Sara C!

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

Based on specs it seemed to fit my criteria, but my husband has had one for a few years and it looks really big, and very tall compared to my Nimbus Ozone. He carries the tent, so he generally needs more capacity than I do, and he has a lot of extra space when he brings his NeoAir instead of Prolite Plus.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Have you seen a size small in person?You can also get it with the s shoulder straps specifically for women or people with narrower shoulders or there is also the ohm.You can return the packs if they do not fit well.Email them they are great to work with.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Sara,

I made this backpack for my wife. It meets many/most of your criteria. You might not be into myog but I thought it might give you some ideas.

PACK

Daryl

Juliana Cho
    Spectator

@choyoyo

Sara,

Have you had a chance to try out the Exos 46 in small (43 L)? I have a 17 inch torso, which should fall in range for the small size (<18.5 in), yet I have found that the exos small is too short for me in torso length, so it might work for you.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Osprey Hornet 46 and ULA Circuit.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Plus one on the Osprey Hornet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools