Topic

custom bivy/quilt combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear custom bivy/quilt combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James Sogi

@zephyr1

I am making a new quilt, but would like to combine bivy like aspects to it. I am thinking of putting a sil nylon bottom (rather than open with ties) with ties for a neo air pad or Med exped. The pad would become part of the quilt, kind of a hybrid top bag/bivy combo. I am trying to combine function of bivy for under tarp with the quilt avoiding carrying both and to keep it together at night. Any problems with this idea?

James Sogi

@zephyr1

One more question. I am thinking of using some 1/8 closed cell foam for the bottom as a combo pad/groundcloth instead of just silnylon. Is that hard to sew/waterproof seams?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

From my experience I've concluded that quilts are warmer when they are held close to my body. I used to want to attach the quit to the pad thinking that there'd be less heat loss due to drafts when I roll over but I seem warmer when using a quilt that is not attached to the pad and is free to be close to me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools