Topic

Ultralight backpack recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight backpack recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I want to endorse what Elena said above about your base layer. There is no need whatsoever to take two separate base layers. I use my base layer for sleeping (basically pajamas), but also wear it under my hiking clothes on cold mornings and evenings. The hiking clothes plus my insulating jacket (and maybe rain jacket and pants) keep the base layer from getting dirty or picking up food smells (which I understand is Philmont's reason for separate sleeping clothes). I never hike in my base layer, so it doesn't get sweaty.

I also endorse the suggestions for several shorter "shakedown" trips first. You don't want that long and difficult trip to be your first one! You need to test your gear thoroughly so you know how to use it, practice packing and unpacking, pitching and striking your tent, keeping dry in the rain, and lots of other skills. It's best to start learning these skills somewhere like a state park or national forest campground, or even your back yard, where you can bail out to your car if things go bad. Then try a trip that's just a few miles from the trailhead. Be sure to plan a few of these "shakedowns" in inclement weather.

Those new SMD tents mentioned above won't be available until at least July, so keep that in mind if you decide to order one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"but as for crushing it… A lot of it isn't stuff you'd want to eat after crushing. Further, this is a "crew"-based trek. You cook and eat as a crew, and "doing your own thing" is discouraged. She may not have the option to crush her portion if she wanted to."

Oop. I wasn't aware this is Philmont specific. My bad and I retract my suggestion.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Patricia, please take this with a grain of salt. Philmont is NOT the end all be all………Pleae keep in mind that they have a different agenda when it comes to gear. Again, have a wonderful trip! We will want to see photos and a written summary of what worked for you and what did not.

SPAM

@chrisgayle885

There are many online stores which offer you good light weight backpacks. I use Eagle Creek 65L backpack which I purchased from MonsterBags online store. My gear is 4lbs and dimension are 13" x 23" x 10" extremely light weighted. It has interior and exterior compression straps which make carrying comfortable, hip belt range range: 32-38 in / 81-97 cm. Also it can carry sleeping, clothing, tent comfortably. Do check out their store for detailed features of the backpack.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Do check out their store for detailed features of the backpack."

5.3 pounds is lightweight???

–B.G.–

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

thread is over a year old…

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools