Topic

Cowboy Coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cowboy Coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

After spending 8 days with the mess of making coffee in a Platy, and cleaning it out, and dealing with the grounds, I came up with this…

Coffee
    …a zipTop Platy and a NoSeeUm coffee bag.

Grounds go in the bag, bag goes in the Platy, add hot water, seal, and wait.

Pour off coffee and drink.

Remove coffee bag, let dry, shake out the grounds into the trash bag, and pack 'em out.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'm diggin the idea…going to have to make one myself as I'm huge loose leaf tea drinker.

But Dam Greg! you have a whole platy dedicated to coffee? How much caffeine does a man need!?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Group of Five!

This turns out 5 Strong 10 ounce cups. Just right.

For solo trips I go with instant Nescafé Classic.

Brian Dickens

@briand

IMO steeping, drip filtering, percolating… all these easy methods are merely OK with coffee. As a result, just use VIA.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Never thought of using no-seeum mesh for a bag. I like the idea it packs down to nothing. I wonder if I could make a one-cup version w/out having to sew anything?

The VIA is think would be the easiest, but at a buck a cup….

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

It wouldn't matter for a few days backpacking, but there are some really interesting studies about non-filtered (non _paper_ filtered) coffee versus filtered and cholesterol. You can find them searching "filtered coffee cholesterol."

I use good coffee, good grinder, and a simple cone filter at home. I'm hopin' that catches the bad stuff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools