Topic

Concentrated Backpacking Beer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Concentrated Backpacking Beer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Nope, but not for lack of imagining it exists during most backpacking trips :-)

Another possible approach.

http://www.brewdog.com/sink_the_bismark

Forty-one percent–the mind boggles.

Cheers,

Rick

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

that beer has been retired.

but seriously, one trait of good beer is that the alcohol is hidden. i cant imagine how they could pull that one off..

this is one i tried lately, not for hot summer days (for that we have reds, ipa's and pilsner) but wow.. when the air is colder than the beer (officially an ale, serve at 45-50F) this could be all too charming.

backpacker friendly, canned in Colorado, USA: 10% abv http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

That's an outstanding beer. Oskar Blues is one of my fav breweries for sure.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

+1 on the Ten Fidy, great beer, great brewery. It packs a punch too at somewhere around 10% I think. Best of all for backpacking, Oskar Blues cans their beers.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Jeff,
    I've been loosely following the development of Pat's BCB for quite some time now. I'm really curious on how it'll taste.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

uh, thats why i just bring a flask of rum or whiskey.

otherwise, im partial to canned sunshine wheat. sure, its not super alcoholic, but it tastes so good when your setting up camp at the end of the day.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Travis,

I wonder if it will ever come to market? I remember in the late 70s or early 80s reading in Backpacker that they had invented dehydrated beer in Japan. I'm still waiting for that one.

After giving this more thought I realized there are probably such large hurdles to bring this to market it may be unlikely. First you can't can't ship alcohol across many state lines. Second, who would carry it, it would be such a niche market.

Jeff

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

so how can you get Pats backcountry beer?

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Personally, I am not a fan of beer. Anything that a pirate would drink suits me though, as rum is my favorite. A plastic Gu flask of 151 will make you think you're warm alright haha.

Andrew Troicki

@troiks

Locale: Sydney

I cant wait for this to come out. I have realistic expectations though, similar to freeze dried food, I cant see this as being as good as a micro brew as claimed by the website.

Website states that they have sorted out some remaining issues & are gearing up for production.

Might be a few people here in Australia who would be keen to try this

Cheers
    Andrew

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

"Greetings Kevin,

Thanks for your interest. We’re working hard to get our beer out there as soon as possible, but we can’t announce a date just yet. We still have several significant miles stones to reach before we will be able to kick start into production.

As we keep traveling down this trail, we will be updating our site, and soon well have a number of social feeds available to help keep folks well informed. If you like I can zip you a note when those go live, and you can take your pick of which ones you’d like to sign up for. I'll keep your address.

Take it easy and “Drink Resourcefully”!

Pat’s Customer Support"

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

"Hi Kevin,

Thanks for spreading the word… we’re working tirelessly and making good strides. Always more to do. Still not able to offer a date for product availability/launch.

You are indeed correct about the beer. Can’t really remove alcohol and still call it “beer”. Our concentrate is a syrup that has all the normal alcohol, aroma, and flavors of a beer… but without the water. It will be packaged in little foil pouches similar to the plethora of energy gels that are on the market. You would simply tear one open, mix it with water in our water bottle, and then carbonate with our carbonator. The packets will be right at 1 fl oz. and make a one pint serving (16 fl oz)

The process we’ve developed is a bit complicated for a quick reply, and we will soon have more detailed info through the web… but the basic process involves brewing a beer inside of a beer, and thus making it more concentrated with every cycle of fermentation. We’ve coined the term “nested fermentation” for this step of the process. Lots of complexities to doing this (as you might imagine).

Thanks for your continued interest. I’ve contemplated joining the conversation at backpacklight… but have been slow to comment just because we don’t have product for sale yet. Rest assured… we’ll be joining the conversation soon.

Take it easy & happy trails.

Patrick Tatera
    CEO"

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

It's cool that I'm salivating, right? This sounds amazing. Carrying a beer a night for a week long trip at about a half pound? Sign me up!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools