Topic

Colorado Trail raingear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Colorado Trail raingear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm hiking NOBO on the CT from Durango July 1st doing only the southern half of the trail.
    Main items are :

PACK> REI '07 Cruise UL 65
    TENT> TT Moment
    SLEEP SYSTEM> WM Megalite 30 F. & old Thermarest Lite regular mattress (14 oz.)
    COOK/KITCHEN> Brunton Flex stove & canister, 3 cup pot, MSR windscreen, long lexan spoon, plastic cup, aluminum pot gripper

RAIN GEAR> Cabela's GTX PacLite parka 15 oz.

QUESTION – Will I need the PacLite rain pants? (also 15 oz.) I'm wearing 5.11 nylon pants which are great in the wind.
    Are late afternoon thunderstorms common in July?

Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Locale: SoCal

Hi Eric,

I backpacked the CT in 2007 from Denver to Durango and I got rained on hard 20 out of the 21 days I was out there. I had windpants instead of rain and that was not the best option. Obviously, I came out of it OK but it really depends if you like being wet. I started July 14, so a little later than your start. I guess it depends, but if I were to do it again I would bring full rain gear. I hope this helps.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

July thru Labor Day is the monsoon season in CO. You will definitely need full-on rain gear.

William Cummings

@rcummings1

Locale: Colorado

+1 on Monsoon season, Bring the rain pants.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I hiked sobo last year about the same time, and only had wind pants.
    I get awfully hot hiking in pants, so I usually only wear them in foul weather.
    There were a few times where I definitely wished I had more than just my windpants, but I think rain pants would have been too warm most of the time. I've recently purchased the cloud kilt from zpacks and will be using it this summer in the Rockies.
    Hope that helps.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I'll be heading out of Denver roughly the same time you'll be starting out. I was having the same debate with my kit and I am sticking with the rain pants. I do think you can find rain pants that weigh about half of what you already have. Although I totally understand not wanting to spend 80 bucks or w/e to save 6 oz.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks guys, I'll be taking the Cabela's PacLite rain pants.

Russell Jacobie

@flyer4food

Locale: Sierras

I'm hiking SOBO August 15th, hope to get to Durango by Sep 15th. I just bought (for like $6) the raingear at Big 5… 5.7oz for waterproof "jacket" and 4.1oz for waterproof pants. They are very cheap and cheaply made, they just go over the top of whatever pants your wearing, and they have scrunchy ankles, waste, and wrist.

I was debating on whether to even bring the pants, looks like I'll be bringing them.

-Satchel

Bradford Childs

@ford22

We left around the same time last year on the CT and took 30 days. It rained only a handful of times and it was brief when it did. However, I knew people who started in August backwards and it rained almost every day all day. I might add rain pants for the later higher parts of the trail (San Juans). Eventhough I rarely used them overall, one day we had freezing rain on Snow Mesa and I would have been pretty hypothermic without them. So I vote to start without and add them towards the end. Have fun!

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

I would for sure leave the Cabela's pants at home…that's a brick better not carried. The "monsoonal rains" are mostly brief and scattered but often heavy thunderstorms. For as cheap as Frogg Togg/DriDuck pants are I'd grab a pair and save the NINE or so ounces…
    Have fun,
    Steve

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

From what I gather, much of the CT is well maintained and brush isn't a huge issue. So I'd second spending the $25 and get a driducks/froggtoggs kit. The pants are considerably lighter and should last the trip if you take care of them (eg don't sit on logs while wearing them). Gives you the protection at a minimal cost to pocket and scale.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

You can get socked in in the Weminuche. It usually starts about 3rd week of July, given as wet as the spring has been I'm going to guess it will be a light or late monsoon. Given a July 1 start from Durango you should be fine as the worst monsoons are in the Weminuche.

Another strategy I might try is start early and then hunker down as storms come. If it were me , I would start in June of most years since it's nice and dry, however this year there is likely to be a lot of snow around still. We have an early April snowpack in the western part of the state right now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools