Topic

Patagonia R1 or Nano Puff or (insert here) – mild warmth at camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia R1 or Nano Puff or (insert here) – mild warmth at camp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Late spring/Summer/early fall. Evening temps dropping to maybe 40(pushing it).

Want to try something other than always bringing my 230 merino wool that's a little less stuffy. Something I'd use at camp and maybe short bit when I hit the trail in the morning before I warm up.

I'm think of the items above. The nano maybe over kill. I understand the R1 would breath better and the nano would pack better.

I have a houdini as a windshell.

Feel free to offer another solution.

thanks.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

For temps in the 40's I use a patagonia capilene 4 zip neck with a capilene 1 long sleeve under it. If the wind is blowing, I'll throw my shell on over it.
    This works great for me.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

the nano is sooooooo lightweight and comfy, it is a piece of gear you will wear by itself all the time when its a little cool out, to work, around the house, town, etc. Its a simply superb middle layer, shells glide over it effortlessly.

Sleeping in it too is so comfy its downright enjoyable, like you are back in your mamas womb.

One of a few pieces that you will truly use all the time, not just for hiking, etc.

I wouldnt call it overkill, maybe the micro is, but the nano is very lightweight.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

I've found the R1 more suited to wearing when I'm moving and need breathable insulation.

In camp I prefer a puffy insulation (MontBell Down Inner Parka in my case).

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think at those temps either really, the nano will provide a little more warmth than the R1, the R1 will perform better on the move

as you have a windshirt, the advantage of the nano in the wind over the R1 probably isn't an issue

the Nano is a little lighter and would be also better in the volume dept- as your using this mainly as a insulating piece, I think the Nano gets the nod

they are both quite good pieces and you probably won't be disappointed w/ either

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

What about the Montbell EX Light Down jacket?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

+1 to Larry and Mike. Kinda like comparing apples and oranges as the garments serve 2 different purposes. Here's my take on the situation. You're not looking to go under 40 degrees, which is not that cold in my book. Worst case scenario for you, the weather predictions are off on your trip, and your night ends up closer to 32 degrees. For sleeping and camp-work, you'll be more happy with the nanopuff in that situation than the R1. Plus, everything you are already bringing as your arsenal for 40 degree weather will suffice to keep your body warm when your on the move, even in 32 degree weather. If you were to take the R1 in the same situation, it wouldn't keep you as warm when you sleep, and it could possibly be overkill as your active layer. My R1 becomes my active layer when its really cold–like below freezing. Above freezing I do fine with merino, or a lighter fleece, layered under a windshirt.

And if you're a L or XL, you're in luck
    http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/patagonia/nano-puff-pullover-mens-closeout.html

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Thanks for the input. My concern with the Nano is I'd like the flexibility to bring this layer when the lows will only be in the 60s. Its the nano that flexible?

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

My experience from temps in the mid to upper 50s is that the nano is going to be very warm even fully vented (pullover version). But maybe it was warmer than I thought that day.

That said, the R1 will likely not be warm enough at 40 (would be pushing it). Another point for the nano is that it is ~1.3oz less than my R1 Hoody.

I tend to run warm during the day.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I tend to run cold but the Nano Puff is my mid to late spring insulation layer for camp, with temperatures from the 40s – 60s. I think that if the Nano Puff is too warm, you're probably fine without any insulation layer at that particular moment, but you might be thankful for it when the wind picks up and the temp drops a few degrees.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

James said "Thanks for the input. My concern with the Nano is I'd like the flexibility to bring this layer when the lows will only be in the 60s. Its the nano that flexible?"

if it's warm enough that you don't need an insulating then no harm or foul in having the Nano along, as we all know weather can be unpredictable (some places worse than others)- having an insulating piece, regardless of forecast, makes good sense to me

someone mentioned the exlite above, if your climate is not overly wet- this is great piece as well- at 6 oz if provides as much or more insulating value as the Nano (and even less volume)- it's my go to piece, but I'm in the Rockies where it isn't overly wet

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I would never be warm enough in an R1 at camp with just a houdini over it. For me, R1 is really for when you are moving. Definitely go with the nano puff for a camp jacket.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

R1 (hoody) and Nanopuff (hoody) seem about the same in warmth, with R1 breathing better and Nanopuff being more windproof. R1 is really comfy to sleep in too with the ninja hood. R1 is actually lighter.

Keep in mind this is totally subjective and probably wrong. I've turned into a SoCal lightweight when it comes to cold, so anything under about 50 feels the same to me.

Edit: BTW, when moving in temps. over 40 dF in either of them I'd start sweating within a few minutes.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

What Gabe said.

For me, the R1 (or a similar grid Polartec Power Dry top) is something I'd use more for stop and go when it's cold, or as a baselayer in really cold temps, below 0 F. Don't think it'd be warm enough sitting at camp below 50 for me. Nano puff is good to the 30s, at least for me.

Brendan Kehde

@caretaker

Locale: Jupiter, Florida

For mild weather and an occasional low of 40 in the middle of the night on clear ski nights, I'd go with an R1 pullover, cap 1 long sleeve crew, cap 2 short sleeve crew, windshirt, and fleece hat.

If you are talking about 40 degree weather at 2pm in the afternoon or in the rain, I'd bring both the nano and the R1.

They are both worth owning.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have been happy with my R1 and a long sleeve Cap 2 shirt in temps from the low teens to the mid 50's (while at camp as well as hiking). Thanks to its grid design and the deep zip, it breathes great, so it keeps me cool in the warmer temps, and in the colder temps I just zip it up. When in camp (and if the wind is gentle) I am fine with only these 2 shirts to temps around 20. If getting into the teens I will throw on my hard shell, or the hard shell and my Montbell UL down inner (mostly depending on wind).

My only beef with the R1 is the weight and the packed size. But such is fleece…

After reading some reviews of the Montane Fireball Smock it seems like it would be a good option. It would pack down a little smaller than the R1, weighs a little less and would even shed a little moisture if need be. However, I am not so sure that it would breathe as well (which is one reason I love my R1 so much).

David Gibbs
    BPL Member

@jaxom929

I'm having the same debate but my situation is different. I'm doing an AT thru starting early May and trying to decide on my R1 hoody or pullover nano puff. Here's what I've come up with so far.

R1 Hoody
    Pros – Fleece is better for the rainy east, hood means I could leave my Ibex wool hat at home, wind shirt means that the R1 will be as good in wind as the puff, I sleep really hot making the R1 probably better for a larger range of temps
    Cons – Heavier even taking hat into account, bulkier

Nano Puff
    Pretty much the reverse of the R1.

Any thoughts?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Fleece is good for hiking, it breathes. Puffy layer is good for when you stop.

I carry both if temps are going to be < ~50F, I know neither is enough around camp by itself with temps in 40s. When low temps are only in 50s, i can save some decent wt (~12oz) by leaving the puffy home.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For this sort of question, I always encourage people to look at Richard's fine post about best backpacking clothing combined with his iclo measurements for common mid layers. There is a caveat that some people run warmer or colder… so have some idea what you are and make appropriate adjustments.

For me, the R1 + wind shirt would be enough if the low was 40F. This is partly because I tend to run hot, even after I have finished hiking, and it I really start to get chilled I can wrap myself up in my quilt. The Micro Puff will be significantly warmer than the R1. For me, the Micro Puff would be too warm. My solution in those conditions is a very light base + WM flash vest or a montbell inner fleece which is even lighter than theR1 , but my clothing choices are a bit idiosyncratic.

As others have indicated, the R1 shines in breathability and the ability to control how much heat you vent (especially with opening and closing a wind shirt). The Micro Puff is much warmer for weight/size – and makes a better pillow, but it's easy to overheat if you engage in any sort of activity.

–Mark

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what temps are you expecting during the day time and at night?

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

My R1's the heaviest of my mid-layers. I only take it if I need it during the day while hiking, and it has to be pretty cold for that.

For camp, down to 40, I would take my Montbell UL inner or my Nano. Both work well paired with a light merino baselayer (which I always have for sleepwear.)

Respective weights (women's medium):
    5.7oz – Montbell UL Inner jacket
    8.5oz – Patagonia Nano Puff pullover
    10.0oz – R1 pullover

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools