Topic

Best rain jacket for under $150?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best rain jacket for under $150?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    John Smith

@gunnerbob

Looking for a rain jacket around the $100 range, no more than $150 at most. Got a few options:

-Marmot PreCip
    -North Face Venture
    -Patagonia Torrentshell
    -Outdoor Research Helium
    -Columbia Hail Tech

Not interested in "trendy", am only interested in best quality and features. It'll be used for light-moderate activity, no climbing. Just a solid, all-purpose rain jacket that won't break the bank.

I'd appreciate any advice or input, and why it's good/bad so I have a bit better understanding.

Many thanks!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

What do you value most? Weight, durability, or breathability?
    $150 is an awesome budget and can get you a lot of different jackets. Tell us more about your goals, and we can help out better.

I'll tell you this, the marmot precip, tnf, and columbia are out in my book. I'll also say this, given that this is BPL, there will be a STRONG bias towards getting the lightest rain jacket necessary for the job (myself included)

Also, are you dead set on brand new, or would you not mind buying used? Gearswap has tons of great deals

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

If you need an XL or XXL, this is an awesome deal on a great jacket.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/norrna-bitihorn-dri1-jacket-mens

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I'd look into Montbell as well. I have the Rain Trekker and it's an awesome jacket and a great value. Their Breeze Dry Tec is definitely more breathable than what you have listed. Not quite eVent, but much better than Gore-tex type laminates. Since I bought mine they have the Outpace jacket now as well, which is several ounces lighter but a bit more expensive.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Check out GoLite's Tumalo. It's right around $150 if you don't catch it on sale, but I loved mine (I gave it to one of my Kilimanjaro porters, and plan on getting another).

John Smith

@gunnerbob

Weight isn't my primary concern…..given the name of the site, I can appreciate the irony though. Light duty, more for leisurely walks with the kids and such. I'm not hardcore, but I figured there would be hardcore people here who know what they're talking about! :)

Was hoping around $100 but if $150 will get me something far better then I'm willing to splurge.

Mont Bell Rain Trekker looks interesting. Anyone have experience with the Patagonia Torrentshell?

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I have used both the marmot preclip and the golite tumalo. (but for backpacking I use some dryducks that I took the zipper out of to make them lighter) The Golite tumalo stunk! I had two diferent ones and they were both defective. The first one weted out with a tiny amount of rain and some of the second one's seam tape were missing. My brother also had this jacket and his seam tape came undone sortly after he got it. My Marmot Preclip has been fine for a rain jacket, but it is too heavy to take backpacking most of the time.(14oz for my XL size!) I use it for really wet trips and for some winter trips. Hope that helps some.
    Dustin

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I like mine . Love the pitzips. The pockets are higher than many so a hip belt doesn't interfere with them.The fabric is not UL but not heavy either. Very good hood, but no way to stow it. I got mine at Oregon Mountain Community. The price match web prices. I got a large which is just enough to layer under. Doesn't cover your rear all that much

John Smith

@gunnerbob

Noisy fabric? I hate noisy fabric, I'll gladly pay extra for something softer that's still breathable/waterproof.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Of your choices, I'd get the Patagonia Torrentshell or look for a Rain Shadow on sale. The RS used to be around 150.00 and I'm guessing you can find one online for even less than that (although I think their retail price went up).

I have had my Patagonia Rain Shadow for several years and it's a great all-around shell. Also, you'll get a good warranty if anything goes wrong.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Not sure if everyone has noticed Marmot's Mica is priced at $135 this season. I recall it being a favorite last year (and at $200 IIRC).

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Crinkles a bit putting it on . Tried it against Moonstone, REI, Eddie Bauer, all Goretex same noise. I never really notice it.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka is $99. I've had one for 5 years and after a lot of town and trail use it still looks like new.

High quality with lots of nice features. No pit zips but I've found the slanted chest pockets vent well B/C the pockets are mesh lined and have zipper flaps. Plus you can get it in a Tall, which I recommend for better "butt coverage".

As with all WPB laminates, wash in a GTX specific soap and then in NikWax DWR and THEN spray with Revivex DWR. This combo gives factory surface water repellency.

BTW, I'd avoid Marmot's Precip laminate. It DE-laminates easily around the neck and shoulders. I've seen 2 of them like that.

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

2nd the cabela's parka.
    sturdy
    waterproof
    cost less than other garments with only a dwr
    tall sizes
    if you order be prepared to deal with their catalogs…

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudcape.shtml

not rough and rugged by any stretch of the imagination…

T.C. Cromie
    Spectator

@yogru

Locale: Land of too much rain!

Just picked up a Marmot Super Mica for $150 shipped at Travel Country.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/marmot/super-mica-jacket-mens.html

9oz. has full zipper and pit zips. Reinforced at pack areas.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've got a Marmot rain jacket. Not really sure of which model – I think it's a bit too heavy to be a Precip (mine weighs about 16 oz). It's in great shape (no rips/tears/stains/etc), has pit zips, a nice, solid all-purpose rain jacket in blue that I'd sell for $45 including shipping. Happy to take pics and send them your way if interested.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I was looking at the super mica and liked the feature set (and weight), was a little spendy for someone who doesn't spend all that much time in a rain jacket though- I ended finding a OR Helium for a screaming deal that couldn't be passed up- size large is under 7 oz :)

their (OR) warranty is pretty darn good, another reason I went that way (heard a few not so good stories about Marmot's treatment of folks w/ delaminating issues)

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

DriDucks Jacket. 5 ounces. You pay $12.50 and you get pants to go with it! 9 ounces for jacket and pants, and CHEAP.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Second on anything Paclite. I really haven't tried anything eVent so I am not trying to start up that debate, but I have been really impressed with the Paclite shells I have picked up. Sweaty? At times, but pit vents help. What I think is most impressive is the durability. I carry a shell all seasons – mostly for rain protection, but it adds a warmth layer in winter too. I started with a Mountain Hardwear Paclite jacket that was just over 13 oz, but then I picked up a Golite version (no pit zips on the Golite) that weighs in under 10 oz. The MH is now my around town rain jacket and the Golite stays in my pack in the gear closet. I have been in a few storms in them and have never seen them soak through and they both look like new to this day. I think I paid $40 for the Golite off Gear Trade. :) Good luck in your quest.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Hey Mark, did you get the GoLite Phantasm? I was eying it on the GoLite clearance site, I like what I see.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=AM1735&mc=&t=&lat=

R S

@rps76

I've had a Mountain Hardwear Cohesion jacket for about 18 months now and it's still going strong. Even after a lot of use, it has yet to wet out. The only thing I don't like about it….that rain just runs down the jacket (on the outside) and my legs get super wet.

I'm a loyal fan of Patagonia and if you decided to get one of their rain jackets, I would suggest the Rain Shadow. Or if you have the cheese, get crazy and get the M10. 11.4 oz and $400 of oh so goodness.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Yes, Tommy, it is the Phantasm. Here was the original GT thread —

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37436&skip_to_post=317399#317399

My scale weighs it in at 9.85 oz. and I just roll it up into its hood and either use it as filler in side my pack (when it is dry of course) or throw it in an outside pocket.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I like my Golite Tumalo and you can get them for $120. XXL is 10.5oz for pit zips and breathable pockets.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools