Topic

Pairing road trip with overnighters… any ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Pairing road trip with overnighters… any ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

Note: Please move this thread if I've chosen the incorrect forum. I wasn't 100% sure where this belonged.

I'm toying with the idea of planning a road trip from Iowa to Florida in the coming weeks. Specific stops in between are Kansas City, MO and Knoxville, TN. The approximate route (as generated by Google Maps) is as follows:

iatoflmap

Does anyone know of some good 1-3 night trips I can match up with my road trip route? I'm thinking things will be pretty limited until I get closer to TN, but I don't know much about any of the area being covered.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

In order of relative interesting-ness:

1. Big South Fork in eastern TN
    2. Garden of the Gods in southern IL
    3. Land of the Lakes in SW Kentucky

What say you ATL?

Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

Big South Fork is pretty cool, but if you're gonna be in Knoxville and you've never been to the Smokies, then you have to do that. There's plenty of great overnights you could do there. If you want company at night, leave your tent in your car and book a reservation at one of the shelters on the AT (going out of Cades Cove or Newfound Gap is pretty logistically simple). If you want to see less people, do something in the Cataloochee area of the park. There's plenty of trails all over and it's pretty easy to link them together in loops. Near Atlanta, check out Amicalola Falls.

Also, if you've never spent much time in the south and you have time, you should head to Savannah from Macon in Georgia then down to Jacksonville. That's a very very cool area. And you can check out St. Augustine near Jacksonville if you want.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools