Topic

JMT in Sept.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT in Sept.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Porter
    Spectator

@porterbrau

Locale: So Cal

Hello everyone. Hoping to get some info about the JMT in September for my maiden voyage. My brother and I are leaving Tuolumne Meadows on 9/6 and planning on three days to Reds Meadow. I'll be continuing solo from RM on 9/9 and exiting through Kearsarge Pass on 9/17. I was hoping that anyone with experience might offer up some words of wisdom & advice about the trail in late summer, along with recommendations on great camp sites, must-see spots, photo-ops, etc. I'll be bringing a good quality compact camera and want to put it to good use. I've been reading anything I can find — books, blogs, websites (BPL is hands-down the best so far), and have watched a fair number of You Tube videos (some great, some not so much), so I have a basic understanding of the trail. But, most of these revolve around early to mid-summer hikes. After RM, I'll be resupplying once (probably MTR). The itinerary from RM south is pretty wide open at this point, trying to average 15 mile days, and would absolutely welcome any hiking partners on this leg.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

JP

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I'm leaving from RM on 09/12 and getting to Whitney by 09/22 @ a similar 15+- mile/day pace. It's also my first time but here's a few things that have helped me in the planning.

Guide book, Elizabeth Wenks book 'John Muir Trail: The essential guide to hiking America's most famous trail'. Here's a link

Cool video, 'winter is coming' is about a trip last October, here's a link

Elevation profile, check out this link

You've probably already seen some of these, there is a list of the trip reports on BPL, here's a link

Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools