Topic

Tater Tuesday! Caramelized Onion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Tater Tuesday! Caramelized Onion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Caramelized Onion Taters
    Serves 1

Fresh sliced onion will last a couple of days in your pack. Whole onions are virtually indestructible, so on longer trips slice them in camp for this recipe.

DSC03369

¼ cup fresh onion, thinly sliced
    ½ cup instant mashed potatoes, any flavor
    olive oil

At home: slice onion and place in a zip locking plastic bag. Place the instant potatoes in a second bag. Carry the olive oil in a small screw top container.

In camp: heat pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat. Add onions. Sauté until golden brown and caramelized.

Stir in 1 cup water. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan gently to get all of the bits of onion. Bring to a boil.

Add potatoes and stir to combine.

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

It's Keen Eyes from the ADZPCTKO. I plan on utilizing your book of knowledge for my 5 trip starting tomorrow.

If you haven't purchased the AMAZING Dicentra's book you should totally pick up a copy. Well worth the read.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Heya Keen Eyes!

Good to have met you at KO. I assume you mean 5 month trip?

Thanks for the nice words about the book. I *still* have no voice! lol.

ETA: Did you get a chance to meet Hoosierdaddy too?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools