Topic

C3 disappointment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear C3 disappointment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ziff house

@mrultralite

OK what have you guys been smoking around here? Got some seamstick C3 from sailrite, has less stick than the other stuff i've been using, wont' even pulloff the mylar.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Ziff,
    I actually talked with Tim Marshall about this last week. I have no real reason why it works well for me other than I heat and press it after bonding. However, I think he has had the same issues as you.

ziff house

@mrultralite

Steven, i'll try that. good thing i've got two u09 coming. Tape will be ok for temp mock up.

ziff house

@mrultralite

oops, hear that, dropped a pin.
    Turned out ok , sea sock, just need to glue the seams. Heat seems to help, i'll see how it ages but its hard even to get the backing off with pulling the adhesive.

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

Nice sea sock! You need to come down and visit Corey in Anacortes one of these days….

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Steven, Ziff– how are you guys applying heat to the seams? Thanks

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

What are your thoughts on cinching it around the coaming? I've seen multiple ideas thrown around, curious where you might be headed… (I can see from the pictures that your mockup is using a simple cinch line –which might be the most effective — but I was just curious if you've thought otherwise)

I should really make a "mock" sea sock before I skin my Baidarka… getting the right fit will be MUCH easier… Hmm… you've added one more thing for me think about (as if building my kayak wasn't enough) haha.

Cheers.

ziff house

@mrultralite

Used an iron on '3' setting, but i wouldnt get too excited about it, helps a little, but you can still pull it apart to correct your mistakes.
    Tyson,
    never gave it much thought, i know it has to be tight enough so that when you pull the thing out full of water it stays put. I've got a tight space[ good depth] in the channel under the combing, got leave room for a spray skirt. I'm using 1/8 shock cord at the momment, may not be strong enough, what were you thinking?

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

ziff house

@mrultralite

thats how you make them! interesting article, concur about the fabric tests, they seem to loosen up when wet.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

ziff, Pls contact me at [email protected]. I would like to have a chat with you regarding "sailrite super seam tape". cheers, Huzefa

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools