Topic

UL pants close to official BSA color?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts UL pants close to official BSA color?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Have any of you Scouters (or Scouts) found UL pants that are close to the olive drab sort of color of the official (HEAVY) BSA pants (or grey Venturing)? I actually do like some of the big pockets when I'm not backpacking, but that's about it. Also prefer normal long pants, not zip-offs.

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

The Campmor Adventure Pants in Tundra are almost a perfect color match, but they are zip-offs. So far I've only worn them as long pants and the zippers aren't annoying at all.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73572

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Try the Golite Yunan pant–they have them in olive green. I like these pants–they stretch and move with you, dry very fast, and work great.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=103001110&mc=&t=&lat=

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Michael,

Railriders has a couple choices:

Adventure Khaki Pants

VersaTac-Lights

X-Treme Adventure Pants

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder
    Michael Sagehorn

@msagehorn

When my son was in Scouts… 1999-2007 and I was a ASM/SM REI sold a great product. The Sahara shorts were sold in a color called "Surplus Green". They were light, green, and were cut above the knee like Scout shorts. Unlike the 1980's-90 issue Scout shorts that were a heavy poly/cotton and ill fitting, the REI product was perfect. On hikes, camping, and backpacking we wore the Sahara's. For Court of Honor's we wore the hidious issue shorts and pants. I was pleased to see that like a lot of things,the leadership who run Scouting finally figured it out and now have the nylon shorts in their suupply system, albeit way overpriced. After over a decade of service the REI shorts needed to be replaced. The Sahara is a horrible piece of gear. Too long, a crummy belt, and a goofy pocket set-up. Somebody in Seattle is sleeping.

Matti West

@onslow

Hi guys, if anyone else manages to track down dark blue UL pants I would love to hear. Australian Scout uniform being dark blue. Have had no luck so far..

Frederic Chang
    BPL Member

@freddych

How much doe these 5.11 Tac Lite Pro Pants weigh?

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Have you tried the BSA Switchback pants? They are Supplex nylon zipoffs. I'm not that fond of zipoffs, but I've been wearing them for the past few years on outings and they are holding up fine. They were fine on Philmont.

REI Adventure Pants used to be available in a color called "canteen", which was an excellent match for Scout green. My pants have served for both camping and work with no problems for a few years. Sadly, they have dropped that color. Maybe we should all e-mail REI and tell them to bring it back.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I can't afford to buy right now so I have a few items for trade if anybody has a pair or two of 36×30 (or longer) nylon pants they could part with. My son needs them as a White Stag staff member. Thanks.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Our son's REI Sahara, side zip convertibles match the Scout green very well and I often have to look carefully to see which one he's using. Unfortunately, REI only makes pants in that great green for youth and short-person sizes… no 35" inseam available. Too bad, because the Sahara is a better product than our BSA item.

http://www.rei.com/product/809047/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-boys

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I wear $20 ones from Academy sports that match.

If you cant find any, there is always RIT dye too.

But honestly, so you need to worry about it. Any shade of olive,khaki works generally. We dont have pants police in our council.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

These must be what you're talking about (in Moss Green). How much do they weigh?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

looks like them. they have a light sage green, a darker olive like the scouts, and khaki. Just not all of them, all the time. Its seasonal or something.

I think my small weighs about 12.6oz if i recall correctly. They run a bit large in the medium

Worn them on many trips, no complaints, esp for price.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Costco is currently stocking Quicksilver board shorts with side pockets and no mesh liner, including a version in a flat, Scout Green, for $22 bucks (I think…). They're cut slim in the leg, are longer than Scout shorts but still above the knee and will accept a full-width belt. I've worn mine with both the old BSA leather and the newer BSA web belts. The fly is gusseted, and doesn't open for real, but secures well with velcro and snaps. Side pockets are drained.

Having shredded too many of the BSA shorts (and being taller than their pants for the most part), I crave items like this and can now replace my faded and ragged green quicksilver cottons from several years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools