Topic

A tent for all year round

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A tent for all year round

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

Do any folk on here have any particular tents they use all year round.

Cheers,

Stephen

kevin smith

@divr6347

first off i do not do any snow camping so my tent will never have to endure a snow loading however i have camped in the rain and wind and light snow flurries

and my montbell crescent 2 has been a great shelter forall around camping its light

roomy and has great ventilation door and vestibule are a little small but its a great little tent for almost any camping situation

divr347

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

depending where you camp, a lot of people get by with a single wall golite shangrila 2 or 3 all year. floorless design could be useful for pitching over snow and you can pitch sides to the ground. ive seen people rig up a full stove pipe set-up in a sl3.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I just made the switch to an SL3 with two different inner tents for year round use. I really like being able to setup and take down out of bad weather by pitching the outer first. Tons of room and less than 2lbs for solo use. Fully loaded with a custom solid inner for two, guylines, and 12 stakes, I am at 52oz.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

pyramid tent – Mountain Laurel Designs has several, many other manufacturers

enough headroom and area so you can get out of the rain

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

I seem to set up all my tents for 4 season use, but then again I tend use a tarp and bug net 6 months out of the year. The system I've been working on is finding a tent or fly that can be fitted with an inner bug tent for summer and opened up for maximum ventilation when its muggy, and being able to create a tight floor less shelter set up with a wood stove and stove jack for the colder bug free seasons.
    At this point I have a Kifaru para tarp, annex and Ti goat cylinder stove, that has worked will in the snow, and have just received a Bear Paw Minimalist 1 net bivy, that I am hoping will fit. Battened down for winter use this rig is a "cozy" fit for me and a red hot stove. If all go's well with the bug bivy, I think I will be able "fly " the tarp and have a little move living room for the summer.

The rough weights from the web:

Para tarp, annex, poles, stakes 2 lbs

Ti goat cylinder stove, all bits. 1 lb 10oz

Bear Paw Minamilist 1 bivy 8.5oz

This rig is comparability heavy, but If the tent poles are close to a pound and could be replaced with hiking poles.

I have a Walrus Trekker Tarp and insert that I am fitting a stove jack to. This rig is heavy, but will be excellent for canoe camping/outdoor living.

Just entering the mix is an Integral Designs George tarp that I will make a zip in fabric door that has a stove jack. I think this has the most potential as a do all shelter as it is light and roomy when closed up and can be used as a flat tarp.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi folks,

I keep coming back to the MLD Dumomid, it really does look like it could be used all year round.

Cheers,

Stephen

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

BD Ahwahnee, with vestibule in winter, without in the other three seasons

Hilleberg Unna, with Mesh Inner in summer, standard inner in the other three seasons

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Richard,

the unna does look like a good strong tent alright :-)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Although the Montbell Crescent 2 is a good four season option, I quit using mine when I realized that a pyramid style is lighter, more flexible and has more headroom.
    I do use trekking poles, so I don't carry poles like I had to with the Crescent 2.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Stephen, I prefer the extra space, as I rarely cook in the vestibule, but if you like a vestibule, the Hilleberg Soulo is basically an Unna with a bit of the floor space replaced with a vestibule. Never camped in one but I've seen them, and it does appear to be large enough for even a big guy (6-4) like me.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I keep coming back to the MLD Dumomid, it really does look like it could be used all year round."

It can, easily. I mainly use mine for cold weather camping as I like to 'hang' in warmer temps, but the Duomid would be a great do-it-all shelter, especially with a modded awning for long days in rain.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I think the best 4 season solo tent is STILL the Hilleberg Akto. Only heavy snow will create a problem (making it sag a lot).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for the replies, I do like the Hilleberg tenst but they have put their prices p in Europe recenlty and very expensive now, I was all set on the Duomid but some guys I know keep raving about the Scarp1.

Cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools