Topic

“Aerobic Oxygen”- Reliable Way to Purify Water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition “Aerobic Oxygen”- Reliable Way to Purify Water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Allan Peretz

@alibi

Locale: The Ozarks

Hi All:

Is there any real support for using "Aerobic Oxygen" as a way to purify water? Product claims state that it's effective against "infectious disease" including Giardia.

I have used it based on a recommendation, but don't really know if it's reliable. I'm actually biased against it because it seems "too easy" and because the manufacturer's marketing language is a bit over the top.

Link is here: http://www.oxygenforlife.net/

Thanks for any perspective.

Allan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"NON-TOXIC STABILIZED ELECTROLYTES OF OXYGEN – Oxygen in molecular form. "

That sounds like good marketing, and that is about all.

–B.G.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I would strongly suggest not to try to use this.
    From their site:
    "Aerobic Oxygen is not a Chlorine Dioxide product, nor does it contain Hydrogen Peroxide. There is a distinct difference between all three. A simple wpH test will show that there is no H202 in Aerobic Oxygen. H202 is very acidic and Aerobic Oxygen is very alkaline. This is one of the tremendous benefits of Aerobic Oxygen. Aerobic Oxygen does not have a formula, it is a compound created by a process and reaction to the ingredients used to produce the non-toxic, stable oxygen compound that it is. All the ingredients used are food grade."

Sounds like water to me, ha ha…. Pure distilled water can kill stuff. They are clouding the issue it looks like…I would request the exact composition of the ingredient(s) before evaluating it for my use. Just being cautious…

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Aerobic Oxygen – Oxygen that requires oxygen…

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Even taking claims for "Aerobic Oxygen" at face value (something the look and feel of their website makes it very hard to do), the product is 4X the cost of Aquamira (and 4X the weight).

"Aerobic Oxygen" 2 oz/$15 treats 7.5 gal. of questionable water (eg, mountain streams) according to website. Aquamira liquid treats 30 gal. for 2 oz. at about the same price or a bit less. Aquamira is a legitimate, reliable product, with FDA approval and testing for every claim it makes, and total transparency about what it is and how it works.

I wouldn't trust my health to an untested product with "secret" ingredients, and no science-based reason for why it works.

Edit: corrected math error.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Hmmm, nothing on that site instills confidence in me.

This is the guy's other website:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/hermieslodge

"It kills all anaerobic (infectious) bacteria while leaving untouched bacteria that is harmless / good for you."
    I'd like to know how this stuff can distinguish between types of bacteria.

"Aerobic Oxygen does not have a formula, it is a compound created by a process and reaction to the ingredients used to produce the non-toxic, stable oxygen compound that it is. All the ingredients used are food grade."
    Ummmmm….

"The process used to stabilise the oxygen molecules in Aerobic Oxygen has never been patented thus maintaining the secret of this process that is known only to The Good For You Canada Corp."
    I wouldn't trust my health to a product that nobody knows about except for the company selling it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The stuff's been around for a long time under various names. Has been lambasted by quack science sites. Has been in trouble with the FDA. If you're going to throw your money away, throw it away on good scotch, forget the super water.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Is there any real support for using "Aerobic Oxygen" as a way to purify water?

I think the web site meets all the criteria for a confidence trick. Note how they very carefully do not specify what the active ingredient is?
    Come in sucker!

Cheers

Allan Peretz

@alibi

Locale: The Ozarks

Seems like the vote is unanimous… It doesn't work or, at the very least, looks a bit suspicious. Strangely enough, the source who recommended this is usually credible on such matters. I'll suggest that they re-evaluate their advocacy of this product.

Thanks again to all for your input!

Keegan Williams

@keego73

I would definitely avoid that site.

There is science behind using a stable oxygen isotope to essentially create "heavy oxygen water," in which many ordinary organisms cannot survive in. But, there's no claim on the website as to which oxygen isotope they are marketing, nor do they have any information about how they are creating or maintaining levels of the isotope.

As they give instruction of using the product as "drops," and clearly label the product as stabilized oxygen, there's a point in which they left the grounds of hiding a trade secret and went straight into boldly lying to mislead potential customers about the product.

There's no way that someone can understand the chemical properties behind stabilized oxygen isotopes and be that confused about bacteria and virus survival rates.
    And, simply put, everything has a formula. Their claim that this doesn't have a formula is likely a simple way of avoiding liability by never promising any product whatsoever.

Edit: Note the book about it that is sold on the site is by a man named Gordon Steward. I'm not sure how he is monetarily connected with the product, but it is worth noting, since his book is used throughout the site, that he is a homeopathic doctor. For what that is worth to you.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

"Aerobic Oxygen does not have a formula, it is a compound created by a process and reaction to the ingredients used to produce the non-toxic, stable oxygen compound that it is."

That is a 100% BS statement.

edit: This sight is too much haha. 'Germs' cause diseases apparently.

"STABILIZED ELECTROLYTES OF OXYGEN – Oxygen in molecular form. One of Oxygen's many properties is that it destroys harmful bacteria."

O really…

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

This stuff may not purify water but according to the testimonials it cures cancer. I'm picking up my bottle today.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools