Topic

Anyone use trekking poles with a Golite Shangri-la 3?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use trekking poles with a Golite Shangri-la 3?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

That looks like a much better solution, you'd think that 10 years in the Navy I'd learn to tie a knot but alas I know none (It's a skill you will not find outside a deck seaman nowadays). Some assistance in learning how to do lashing like that would be great.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Would stout heavier weight Carbon poles (say 8 oz ones like Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork or similar) lashed together with good overlap using 1 in. tubular climbing webbing + velcro/rope be sufficiently strong to handle higher winds or would you only use aluminum poles?

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I have the black diamond carbon corks and this does not work with them. They are too slick and the whole setup was very unstable.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I use HMG pole straps with my locus gear poles, does not get much lighter than this, the flip locks make tensioning easy.Strap

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Heath it should be very easy to get a bit of high-friction rubber strap to go under velcro and stay in place (just the way rubber straps are used under plastic mounts for blinkers which are mounted on slick bicycle handlebars.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

The HMG straps look fantastic! Must order some!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Those HMG pole straps look nice and grippy – are they? Any worries over the metal buckle focusing pressure on the sides of carbon poles?

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I use the HMG Straps with Ruta Locura poles for the Ultamid 2 and they do not slip. They did at first but a little playing around with strap placement and no mass slippage

regarding the metal buckle, I have found that I can always have the buckle against the soft grip of my poles, so no challenge with the carbon

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use tubular webbing like the other picture but use an old bicycle tube cut in half to affix it. It is quite stretchy so really cinches the webbing to the pole tight.

I use this on the Shangrila 5 and lately use it as a solo palace up to a family of 4. With a bivy instead of the inner it is a 36oz solo solution and a 42 oz two person solution.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"Some assistance in learning how to do lashing like that would be great."

Heath, why don't you just experiment with these techniques, and give things a try? Study my photo awhile, and you'll figure it out. It's not rocket science, after all. Or, buy some heavier connector tubing and just be done with it.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

A simple method illustrated here. Scroll down to the post by Ptarmigan.
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/golite-shangri-la-3/hex-3-owners-thread/30212-2.html

I used this method for a few trips. It works.

I made a webbing/velcro gizmo similar to that described above, but not tubing -just folded and stitched each end to make the pockets for pole tips. I have made 2. For different height shelters . Hex 3 and Oware 9×9

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Gary,
    So you say but I guarantee I could spend a week trying to do it and will fail every time. My mind simply doesn't work well in solving those sorts of problems and I am ok with that. I think the best solution for me is either to buy the Carbon pole from Ruta Locura or using the HMG straps with my Carbon corks.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Don't know why the velcro and webbing won't work for you. I've used that system winter camping with a snow load and in very high winds with no problems.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Heath, I also use Black Diamond’s Alpine Carbon Poles. I bought the lower shaft as spare part in BD’s website and after getting rid of the tip, I used it to connect the poles.

This has given me a very strong and sturdy connection that can be quickly adjusted. The weight penalty of carrying the connector (“spare lower shaft without tip”) is only 1.5 oz This can be even lower if you shorten/cut the "connector".

parts

assembled

On the field

The first picture shows the “spare lower shaft without tip”. The second picture shows the two poles connected. (Spare lower shaft is inserted / lower shafts removed). And last picture show setup on the field.

Cheers,

Mario

p.s. BTW, I don’t want to take credit for this idea. I did found it somewhere on the web.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

HMG straps are Voile straps. Unless you can't like without the logo you can save a couple bucks per pair by purchasing the originals at your local mountain shop.

Rudy R
    BPL Member

@rudyr1999

I have the Black Diamond Carbon Cork treking poles. I simply remove the lower shaft from one and insert the tip from the other. Flip the lock and I have my pole. No adapter to deal with.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Rudy,
    I would think that doing that puts a lot of stress onto that pole tip, not something I would use if strog winds , particularly gusting winds, are a possibility.

This of course if I understood what you do correctly.
    Here is why:
    Poles

A common reason for standard pole "failure" results from not having a pole section fully inserted into the ferrule. So instead of the two sections overlapping by 4-5cm they only overlap say one or two.
    From what I see your Flick Lock would also only grab 1 or 2 cm of the pole tip.
    Your poles are much stronger than a typical tent pole but the stress there is also much stronger too.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Craig I used Velcro brand straps in 8" length and they last about 5 minutes before snapping and the entire thing was incredibly wobbly before it collapsed.

Mario that looks like a great solution and for only $15 it's a price I am comfortable with.

David, I do not know what you mean by a mountain shop. Do you mean an outdoor store ie REI, ski shop or a climbing shop? I live in Phoenix and as little snow as this state gets I doubt anyone sells these straps here. But good to know the actual name as I found them elsewhere online for $3.50.

How much success have you all had with this kind of setup? This is my wife's first overnight camping trip and first experience roughing it and I really don't want our tent failing us due to me trying to save 12 ounces. I doubt I'd have much success getting her in the backcountry again if the tent fails us for the 4 days we are in Yellowstone.

On a side note does anyone know why even though I have selected Watch this thread I stop getting notifications of new comments in this thread after the first 1-2 new comments came in? I missed almost 8 comments since the last time I checked.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"does anyone know why even though I have selected Watch this thread I stop getting notifications of new comments in this thread after the first 1-2 new comments came in?"

Just happens that way. I have a couple busy threads that I watch and I'm lucky to get notified once every seven or so responses.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

Heath Poulter, as I hate and don't trust velcro, I use two webbing straps with ladder locks attached.
    My setup is like this:
    1. Connect the trekking pole webbing straps to each other.
    2. Position poles with the upper portions (near the grips) overlapping.
    3. Secure with the ladder lock webbing straps.
    4. Use tip protector on the upper tip pole and some king of base for the lower tip.

I'll post a photo this evening if I remember.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

OK, Heath, I think Dave C. and K C have it right. Yesterday, I found a pair of 9" Voile straps at my local mountaineering store. $7 + tax for two of them. They work great, seem pretty bomb-proof, though you need to really cinch them up tight. It takes me just a minute to connect the poles, but the pair add a whopping .35 oz. to my other technique (.90 oz. vs .55 oz.–time is weight?). The Voile straps are probably multi-use too, although I can't think of any others right now. This might be the simplest and lightest setup of all.

Edit–I might add a couple of velcro strips to support the middle of the poles, to prevent bowing. That will add .10 oz., to make it an even 1.0 oz. total weight.

Voile pole straps

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Voile straps are the winter equivalent of duct tape. Oct-April I never leave home without 3-4.

Heath, REI should have them. Maybe not in Phoenix, though. Anywhere that sells backcountry ski stuff darn well better have them.

Stout trekking poles (like the Carbon corks) and Voile straps wrapped tight is a burly rig. 40-50 mph winds and a foot of snow no problem.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Dave, what length of Voile straps do you take with you in winter, and also what length do you use for your poles? What other uses do you have for the straps, besides locking your skis or snowshoes together for transport?

My Boulder REI didn't have them, but Neptune Mountaineering certainly did, in 3 different lengths. I picked the 9" guys for this use, but now you have me thinking about the usefulness of longer straps.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Here is one solution from Ron Bell that doesn't require having to buy / make a connector, or an extension pole (or the need carry them). Nice KISS system (Keep It Super Simple)

(I recommend using more wraps than what is shown here.)

I've used this method for a number of years on our 'mids and it has both held up during some really bad weather and not damaged the trekking poles themselves.

There are other variations that can be done.
    Should you have an inner insert, then tying off basket to basket works great too – it allows also putting a pole handle down on a shelter floor protecting floor material

twin pole wrap

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Not to beat a dead Voile horse, but since we have a 60* F bluebird day going on here in Boulder, and since I need to kill a couple more hours before I can watch Peyton Manning shred the Patriots pass defense, I thought I'd best figure out the exact pole lengths to make this concept work right. So here ya go, Voiles in place, as well as 2 velcro bands to stabilize the pole centers. The SL-3 is now bomb proof, and I'm a happy puppy. Thanks, Dave and K C!

Yay Broncos, boo Patriots!

SL-3 with Voiles

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools