Topic

Post-hike rituals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Backpacking is a great escape from the hassles of day-to-day life. But after a period of solitude, quiet, and self-paced living, it's not always easy to re-enter society. I've always had little rituals I do after each trip that make the transition more enjoyable. When I lived alone, it used to involve soaking away the trail grime while drinking a Guinness and listening to Miles Davis. Nowadays, my ritual is much simpler.

After the trip, I generally seek out a local diner for an awesome breakfast (what ever the time of day it may be). The rules are as follows:

1)While I may indulge in fast food in my haste to get to a trailhead, I will NEVER eat fast food after a trip. Even if starving, I will search the country roads to find a small mom and pop type establishment.

2) It should preferably be in the vicinity of the trail so I can continue to enjoy the "local" flavor.

3) Wood paneling is preferable. And while I'm not generally inclined towards hunting trophies in normal life, a few tastefully mounted ones match the decor of the place I'm looking for perfectly.

4) Eclectic, in decor or menu items, is a plus.

5) It should ideally have gruff (but friendly) waitresses that call you "hon"

Here are a couple of my favorites

doghouse

Da Dawg House in Cadillac, MI
    Those are hairy legs on the roof, sticking out of a faux dog house. This is my absolute favorite post-hike diner. Favorite meal is called "dog chow"- Hashbrowns, biscuits, sausage, and 2 eggs, piled high (in a dog bowl)and smothered in gravy.

Dogpatch

In Munising, MI. Dog-themed places are not actually required, but these two were both exceptional.

What are your post-hike rituals?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For multiple-day hikes, I'll usually stock a clean change of clothes in the trunk of my car. So, a change of clothing — then BEER and food. :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For multiple-day hikes, I'll usually stock a clean change of clothes in the trunk of my car. So, a change of clothing — then BEER and food. :)

+1

Except I often skip the clothing change and go directly to BEER and food. Food is secondary to beer, so is therefore dependent upon what food is sold by the establishment serving beer. Cheeseburgers and fries are commonly available and preferred.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

+1

Except I often skip the clothing change and go directly to BEER and food. Food is secondary to beer, so is therefore dependent upon what food is sold by the establishment serving beer. Cheeseburgers and fries are commonly available and preferred.

+1!

A gallon jug of water stashed in the truck, and warmed by the sun, makes for a nice spit bath before the fresh clothes go on. Then it's down the hill for the food and a cold, frosty mug!

Antti Peltola
    Spectator

@anttipeltola

I do the traditional Finnish post hike ritual: First I find nearest sauna and wash myself, then change the clean clothes. Then big plate of sautéed reindeer, mashed potatoes and a load of cranberries, preferably from some place where at least some of customers are truck drivers or locals.

I have added some non-traditional parts too: When I get home I do all gear maintenance quite fast. Then I take a beer and go sipping it to the room where I put my shelter/tent/tarp to dry up, just to get that last scent of the wilderness into my nose.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I too, pack clean clothes and jugs of water in the trunk to clean up with, followed by a swim if there is a lake or river and the weather cooperates. Then it's off to find a local place for a REAL milkshake and a double bacon pastrami cheeseburger, although sometimes I pass on the cheeseburger and go for the milkshake and cheesecake.

Once home, I take care of equipment quickly as well, typically the washing machine is running within minutes and before I shave and take a shower.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sandals on, and then off to find the first latte hut on the side of the road. You all can have yer beer, I wanna latte. Or a frappe. With tons of caffeine. Lots and lots.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have been known to skip beer and cheeseburgers in favor of a Venti Caramel Frappacunio, but only when the trail head is close to home; where beer is available. Actually I am not a big beer drinker, but it tastes best after a trip.

No clean up for me, want to make sure the wife knows I have actually been hiking :)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

+1

Except I usually stock a case of beer in a cold cooler in the car and drink that while driving around looking for a place with good food :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

No clean up for me, want to make sure the wife knows I have actually been hiking :)"

And not on a weekend AT hike…lol!!!!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

My favorite post-outdoor ritual depends on the time of the year, the location, and time of the day (THe greasy spoon for breakfast is always good!)

Invariably, though, it leads to the American pub-grub classic: Burger and Beer

In Colorado, we are blessed with perhaps some of the best microbrews in the country [1] and accompanying pubs.

One place that I love to go back to time and time again is
    Oskar Blues in Lyons. CO.

Whether it is coming back from an off-trail, all day affair in RMNP, carving turns in the deep powder or coming back from an excursion in the nearby mountains, Oskar Blues is the convenient place before heading back to Boulder.

And on this menu, one item in particular always calls to me: The Silo Burger.
    This amazing burger is half-pound, topped by bacon and pulled-pork. Yes. That's right. That's a cow and two forms of pig. Topped with pepperjack cheese, doused with hot sauce and cooked medium rare. The juices flow and drip over the accompanying sweet potato fries.

And to wash it all down I drink a pint of Ten-Fiddy (10.5 abv!) that tastes like dark-velvet from the tap or a smoky and scrumptious Old Chub (Er..usually 2)

In Boulder, people hundreds or even thousands of dollars to achieve Zen enlightenment.

I have found it for $15 or so. If spending time in the backcountry and then having a burger with three different forms of meat, followed by a delicious beer, is not Zen enlightenment, than what the hell is ?!?!?

So that is my post-outdoor ritual. I eat food. I drink beer.

I'm a simple man. But supposedly the idea of Zen enlightenment is to be simple. I got it nailed…:D

[1] hear the Oregonians and Washington state people from over here! In the name of fairness, I am willing to make the sacrifice and compare the PNW brew-pubs to the CO brewpubs. I'll do a fact finding trip next year when the future Mrs. Mags and I spend some there. My research into PNW brewpubs will be thorough. I'm that kind of guy… :)

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I have to agree with Mags, stopping by Oskar Blues after spending some time in RMNP is a must. Over all I think any post hike activity is typically food centric–crappy diner coffee and breakfast, pizza or burger and a beer.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Cheap suspect beer is usually haphazardly thrown into an ice-chest and loaded with excessive amounts of ice before hitting the trail- picking up beer on a whim in a town nearest the trail head at 8am after driving for 3 hours on little sleep usually results in poor beer decision making.

Hit the trail!

Return to trailhead- post-hike/pre-brewery 'Libation Celebration' begins out the back of vehicle- typically beer is borderline intolerable due to inappropriate temperature, my high beer standards are usually compromised after a few days on the trail.

After post-hike/pre-brewery beers have been consumed and mild effects worn off at the trailhead, proceed to the closest brewery.

Order pints and a green chile cheese burger with green chile smothered cheese fries until the scenario of sleeping in the car at a Wal-Mart parking lot due to questionably late arrival back at home becomes increasingly real.

Personally, I enjoy walking into a brewery in split shorts and a dirt tan around my ankles with the smell of smoke on me. In the case of my last trip, my pre-hike ritual didn't really differ much from the above post-hike routine with the exception of the green chile cheeseburger and fries… those can only be found in the "Land of Enchantment".

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If you are ever in the Rainier area and coming down Hwy 410 from Chinook Pass or the Sunrise Area stop in the tiny village of Greenwater at Wapiti woolies (http://www.wapitiwoolies.com/) – not only do they sell tons of gear but they have a great coffee bar. Across the street is the Naches Tavern, a well known dive popular with bikers but known for its cold beer and greasy fries.
    Coming down from Nisqually entrance (Paradise/Longmire) Copper Creek Inn is good for burgers and beer (or lattes – hah!) http://www.coppercreekinn.com/

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

For me it is stopping at my favorite local pub E.J. Phair Brewing Company for a pint and the biggest burger they can grill up. While it is not near a trail it has the wood paneling, gruff waitress and awesome menu. Nothing better then celebrating a successful trip and only having a short drive home.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Change of clothes in car then (In N Out Burger) Double-Double Animal Style with a chocolate milkshake why I am pondering what gear worked and what gear did not work on the trip every time.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

Throw in a Lager and it's perfect!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Throw in a Lager and it's perfect!

+1!

I keep a stocked cooler in the car.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ok, this thread hit a home run.

1. Ike, my first big hike with my fiancee ended with a meal at the Dog Patch. We hiked the entire Pictured Rocks from Grand Marais to Munising, then capped it off with a beer and burger.

2. Paul, as I'm reading this thread, I'm drinking Dale's Pale Ale, which is, of course, from the Oskar Blues Brewery.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ken, what's the make and model of your car? And license number?

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Good food and an aimless drive in the general direction of home (often not intentional) to let everything soak back in. Somewhere in there I find some decent coffee.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

91 Vanagon Travis. Help yourself. I always bring enough to share.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Clean clothes (at least the underwear) and then good local pizza and micro brew beer before the drive home. If out west then I would be like Eugene and substitute anything with green chile!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I forget that the Mag Way sometimes has a cooler of beer waiting…

Beer!

If you see a blue pick-up that is plastered with hiking stickers, there is agood chance that there is a cooler in there with some yummy brews. I like the variety pack from Left Hand Brewery myself. (Milk stout…nectar of the gods..) The above photo also has Oskar Blues in it it too…

I also take enough to share. :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This whole thread has started me thinking again. I needed to get into training for backpack season, so I had to down a cold one today. First one in months. I have a long way to go to get ready.

One time about ten years ago, I was coming down the Mount Whitney Trail. I still had a quart of water left in case I got really thirsty, but I knew that I was getting close to the bottom. Instead of stopping to drink the water, I just kept rolling downhill. As I reached the bottom of the trail, there were two good ol' boys sitting on the tailgate of their truck directly across the road, and they had a couple of cold ones in hand. They saw me finish the hike, and they had questions about the trail since they were going up in the morning, so they invited me over and thrust a cold one into my hand. I could not refuse it or else it wouldn't be polite. So, despite being as thirsty for water as I was, I started sipping the cold one as the two guys hit me with their questions. After a few minutes, I was only about a quarter of the way done on that cold one, and my lips were already going numb. The alcohol was being absorbed directly into my dry mouth tissues. Yikes. So, I finished their questions, jumped into my car, and drove off down the hill. Once I got out of sight, I had to pour the rest of the beer out or else I would not be fit to drive eight hours to get home. I know that is a sacrilege to pour out cold beer, and I have repented now.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools