Topic

Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Rae Lakes Loop August 5-8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I'm planning on doing the Rae Lakes loop out of Kings Canyon for my 21 birthday. I will be going clockwise. Just wondering if anybody has any tips or suggestion on my current gear list. You can check my profile for the list or follow this link. The food isn't exact but pretty close. I will also be adding a head net.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/c696437923f857e3c1c33b95a8ce409c.pdf

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Enjoy your trip. I love that route.

Lots of swimming, and wildlife. I looked in your list for summer season gear, a bear canister, a contained stove, and saw that you will be bringing a head net. Looks good.

If you have not been on this route before, the mosquitos are very heavy, but there are lots of granite boulders surrounding the lakes that give some respite (except at the actual Rae Lakes mid-point, which has been the toughest spot for me to avoid the mosquitoes.

Enjoy!

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

This looks like a great list. I did the loop in mid August last year and I didn't have much of an issue with bugs at all. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Water is plentiful along the route. I carried a max of 1.5 liters, averaging probably half that. The longest waterless stretch (going clockwise) that I remember was going from Upper Paradise to Woods Creek, or maybe from the Upper Rae's to Junction Meadow.

Have fun, it's a great trip!

-Rob V

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Thanks guys i can't wait, i just hope it isn't too hot

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Frank, are you going clockwise or counterclockwise around the loop? Oh, well, I guess it doesn't matter too much. The bears will find you wherever you are.

–B.G.–

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Do you know where to call/go online to get a permit for Rae Lakes Loop? Or is there no quota? How is this loop in mid-September?

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I will be going Clockwise.

You can check here for the availability of each trailhead http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/reservation-availability.htm
    and here to for info about a permit http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/wilderness_permits.htm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I've done that trip twice, and I always pick up the permit at the trailhead ten minutes before I actually leave. I'm generally getting about the last permit of the quota. In mid-September, it should be cool and dry, but nearly all of the flowers will be gone. The bears will be there to welcome late season visitors.

–B.G.–

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

So if you had to pick a favorite time to do the loop, what would it be?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I will be going Clockwise."

If you get an early start, you can make it to Woods Crossing in a day. If you do not get that early start, you spend the first night in the Paradise Valley, which tends to be full of mosquitos and bears.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"So if you had to pick a favorite time to do the loop, what would it be?"

I've gone there twice in August for bighorn sheep season. If you see where the grass is very good, that's where the bighorn rams will be.

–B.G.–

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I guess my gear list is just fine, thanks everyone :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Your Bear Vault 450 ought to be about right for that trip. I took one the same volume on my first trip there some years ago, and then took a smaller volume on my second trip there in 2009. That was probably a mistake.

–B.G.–

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I've been practicing putting food in to see how much i can get in and in which order to put it. It seems to work out great.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

One fellow packed too much food into the Bear Vault, and it seemed to jam the screw lid a bit. We had to work on it for about 30 minutes before we got it open.

I had a similar thing happen on a Bear Boxer. Since it is much smaller, I was trying to stuff too much in, and it seemed to jam the lid latches from the inside. It took a while.

Unlike bears, if the human is hungry enough, he will get it open.

–B.G.–

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I hope the BPL hoody won't be too hot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

When you are crossing Glen Pass, you are around 12,000 feet, and it can be quite cool and breezy up there. Below there on either side, you will be in the mosquito district in the evenings, so warm clothing will help keep them from biting.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

Frank, just to emphasize the mosquito warning above. I have been thru there several times in the last few years and they were there but tolerable. On a trip In the early 80s they were tormenting and I moved up to Fin Dome to catch a breeze to knock 'em down. As you know we have had a wet year here with some recent storms in the Sierras. Maybe you could celebrate your birthday a couple of weeks later?

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

i don't think i can celebrate my birthday later, because i start school a couple of weeks later and a i love celebrating birthdays on the actual day.Not on other days.

Dave T

@davet

At least you will have tens of thousands of small buzzing friends to celebrate your birthday with you!

Bring some DEET, a headnet, and have a great time. It's lovely up there.

Russell Jacobie

@flyer4food

Locale: Sierras

Man you are going to love that hike. I've hiked that loop like 6 times and it's one of my favorites in the Sierras. It's really a nice intro hike for newbies and the scenery is just spectacular. I'm not sure how long you are planning on taking but I imagine you could easily do it in 2 solid days or 3 chill days, I did it once as a marathon 1-day hike, but I only brought water and a bunch of peanut butter.

BTW very nice gear list! Sucks you have to bring a bear can. They DO have bear lockers at all the popular campsites. Personally, I bring a bear-bag (the ursack, don't remember weight, but it's probably about 12 oz) although it's not allowed.. are you bringing the bug-tent part of the GW cape? I have done this hike in August and I don't think the mosquitoes will be too bad, by Sep. they are all but gone.

If you have any other questions or need a ride or anything call me, my number is 559-903-8091.

-Satchel

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Yeah i can't wait to go, I'm very excited. I'm planning on doing three days, just nice and easy. I don't have the bug-tent part of the GW cape. I'm using just a head net at night.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Wow, great list – a few thoughts.

Running shorts paired with a long sleeve wool hoodie seems a little odd – is this your regular hiking outfit? I'd be reaching for the sunscreen and mosquito repellant for my legs while sweating and itching in my wool hoodie, but that's me.

If you feel the need for warm gloves and a down jacket you definitely need a warm hat.

Your bear can is big and heavy for two nights out (where many camp locations have bear lockers.) You can rent a Bearicade Weekender from the ranger where you pick up your permit at Roads End, or for just a bit lighter but a lot smaller in your pack there is the small bearboxer.

There is plenty of water on this route so I don't think you need to carry a full 1.5 liters at all times. I tend to use an Aquafina bottle that fits less than a liter and fill it up as needed.

I found the area around Rae Lakes the best part of this loop. With a little extra time maybe linger in this area and / or visit 60 lakes basin just beyond it.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I just started to use hiking shorts instead of wearing convertible pants. I'm using the hoody because i thought it would help with mosquitos and the sun. I'm also bring a short sleeve shirt i didn't put in the gear list.

I recently acquired a warm hat. i'll update the list

I'm bringing a BV 450 with me. it is a little heavy but it's the only thing i have and i don't want to spend more money.

I'll probably just fill up the my 1.5 liter bottle to about a liter

There is plenty of water on this route so I don't think you need to carry a full 1.5 liters at all times. I tend to use an Aquafina bottle that fits less than a liter and fill it up as needed.

maybe someone suggestions on clothing??

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

For hiking wear I use long hiking pants and long sleeved shirt made from thin nylon. It protects from the sun and a little from the mosquitos too. Mine are by ExOfficio but REI and many companies make something similar.
    This means you'll only need sunscreen for your hands and face (btw you need to add sunscreen to your list and if you are hiking in shorts you'll need a ton of it.) Thin nylon in addition to protecting you from the sun also has the advantages of drying quickly, being comfortable in different temperatures, is not itchy, sticky or stinky. If you replace your wool hoodie and running shorts with this you could probably also skip the windshirt and pants. I tend to also want to throw in a thin baselayer top and bottom of some kind to sleep in. Not really a must have, more of a comfort item.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools