Topic

Sub 5 lb list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sub 5 lb list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

So I have been tinkering with my list and come up with a sub 5 lb list based on my current gear and a few things that are on my wish list. My goal is to get below 5 lbs but still be comfortable enough to enjoy my trip. Love to hear comments!

GG Murmer Hyperlight w/ 1 hip pocket 8.82 oz
    8X10 Oware cuben fiber tarp w/ 50'guy lines 7
    TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy 7.25
    Western Mountaineering Highlite 16
    GG Nightlight Torso Length Pad 2.4
    TiGoat Stakes x8 2
    First Aid Kit 2
    1/2L Plat w/ Squirt Top 0.75
    1L Plat 1.25
    Razor blade 0.14
    Cozie 1.25
    Stuff Sack for misc. 0.63
    Lexan long handle spoon 0.38
    Tiny Bic 0.4
    Repackaged Deet and Dr. Broner's 0.38
    Repackaged Aqua Mira 1.13
    Emergency Whistle and Photon Micro light 1.13
    Tooth Powder and Fingertip brush repackaged 0.25
    Gram Cracker esbit Stove + windscreen 1.18
    Snowpeak 600 Mus w/ foil lid 2.75
    Possum Down beanie 1.4
    Smart Wool Liner Sock (extra) 1.5
    Possum Down Gloves 1.2
    Montebele insulated Jacket 9.63
    O2 Rain Jacket w/ hood 4.5
    Total 75.32 oz = 4.7075 lbs

Not too uncomfortable I think and definitely doable. Unfortunately GG is out of stock of the Nightlight Torso Length pad, I need to find a mini Bic, and I need to reduce the amount of duct tape in my first aid kit to hit 2oz.
    Whats the verdict?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

N I C E !

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Nice job I was pretty happy when I was able to go sub 5 Evan though I can't do it most of the time having to take my 2lb osprey due to the 4liters of water I have to carry being in a desert I need a lighter pack just need to scrounge up the money for one now lol nice job though sub 5 is a real accomplishment

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Wow, what more is there to say when Mike C. only has 4 letters to type. A highly refined and neat list. My hat's off to you and I dimly concur.

The only thing I would change would be to take a Snowpeak 600 Mug instead of their Mus – it holds water better.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Justin, The list looks tight. Great job! I'd say get those missing items and give it a try. I think you will find yourself surprisingly comfortable.

Some things to consider….
    * bear hang/food sack – not sure if needed in your area
    * rain pants – depends on local climate and days out, but other items suggest temps near freezing and 8×10 tarp suggests rain is possible
    * compass and map – depending on distance and familiarity of trails
    * extra fire – the mini bic can fail or get lost, would this be bad?
    * 1/2 liter platy + 1 liter platy – I've found the 1/2 liter platy to not hold enough water to make it worth my time filling, treating and drinking from. I would swap it for second 1 lt or 2.5lt. I've found lighter loads promotes longer distance which means hydration is more important. I drink 4-5 liters/day and cook with another 1 liter. If you are drinking from the 1/2 liter you would need to fill it 8x-10x times a day at this rate.

It would be great to hear how the trip goes.

Jamie

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

HI Jamie. No bears here in the bay area so I don't need a bear bag system until I expand ym horizons that of course will move me up.
    I took off the rain pants because my hiking pants dry so fast but of course will bring them for really bad weather. As for near freezing temps I seem to run into them in the valleys sometimes but as it warms the bivy gets traded for a 1 oz ground cloth. The 8×10 is my first tarp and I wanted one big enough to go on a wide variety of trips and to figure out if I really need that much room. Currently I am using the compass on my sunton watch in locations I am familiar with but my backup compass weighs .85 oz so it still keeps me under 5lbs. I always carry my map in the pocket of my pants, just the right size and always to hand so I actually use it. Just added my matches and the compass back in and am at 4.87 lbs! Good point on the single fire source. So far the 1.5 L capacity works for me. I keep 1L treating at all times and use the 1/2? to drink 1/4L /hr with a hydration tap in the bottle, just the right size. I have considered going to another 1L and will likely do so for hikes that take me near fewer water sources.
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    Planing a COE trip at the end of the month though not all the gear will be here since GG is back ordered on several items but I will post a report when I return.
    Justin

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How much of this gear have you actually used? I've done the sub 5 thing but have added back about 3 pounds. What do you feel this kit is lacking?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

+1 on Jamie's suggestions.

You might need sunscreen and sunglasses.

I like to keep whistle, small light, knife, fire source, emergency tinder, map, and compass on-person.

You might be able to drop the bivy depending on location and bugs.

You might be able to drop the jacket if you're comfortable with wrapping up in your sleeping bag under the rain jacket.

You could probably drop the cozy.

I don't trust my watch compass at all. I'm usually better at guessing where north is. :) I have a small button backup compass which weighs something like 2 grams. I take a full baseplate compass if I know I'll need the compass to navigate.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Hi ken. I'll post the link to the list I actually use it is 6.7 lbs I believe. This list is still hypothetical ill let you all know how it works.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Great insights. I agree with a lot of them. Will def. Add my compass back in. Luckily I don't burn w/ my long sleeves pants and buff. Only my hands are exposed. I always wear my sunglasses or clip them on my shirt. The bivy us definitly weather variable. I worry about my sleeping bag getting wet so i keep thejacket

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The mini-bic can be found at any gas station check out counter.

Easy!

And – the MEC 5mm BIVY evazote mat is a nice pad, similar to the GG torso pad. The shipping (from canada) is expensive, so I would buy a few, because any of your friends who see it will want one too. (I know from experience)

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Thanks for the sourcing. Need gas so ill hunt the mini box and then check out the pad online.

Edit. Turns out gg has the pad and all has shipped.

Gabe Miller
    BPL Member

@gabespartan

What did you re-package the deet and dr bronners in to keep weight that low?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a whole family of tiny bottles available. Some are atomizers, some are roll-on, and some have straight caps. I think the smallest one is 7 ml.

tiny bottles

I find them at a store called Daiso.

–B.G.–

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

I used the mini droper bottles BPL used to carry.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Thats a sweet list, Justin. What do you have in the first aid kit? And how to you store the razor? I'm just picturing a loose razor blade hanging out in the pack and I know thats not right. Do you keep it in the mug or what?

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Hi Patrick. The razor blade has a cardboard sleeve taped around it that the blade just slips in and out of. So far it has worked out fine. My first aid kit is down to a little duct tape, 2 each of diarrhea medicine, anti inflammatory, antihistamines, alcohol wipes, as well as 1 insect bite wipe, 1 sterile gauze pad, and one set of rick tweezers (a must in my area). I have actually adjusted the list and am now around 4.3 lbs. As soon as I get the last of the gear together I will post the updated list. Doing a trip to Henry Coe on April 29th so will post a report on how everything worked out on my first SUL trip.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools