Topic

Yosemite next summer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yosemite next summer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Just starting to plan a weeklong backcountry trip in Yosemite in late June early July. Thinking about a sixty mile loop from Happy Isles past Washburn lake, over Red Peak Pass to Buck Camp north to Glacier point or reversed. My current partner has their second child due just prior to this same time. Any thoughts on this loop, any tentative takers. I prefer to travel in small groups one or two other people max. I live in Fortuna in northern California, and would help with transportation as best as I can. Thanks for your input

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Sounds like a fun trip and I might be interested. Email me at [email protected]

Aaron Wallace
    BPL Member

@basilbop

The Clark Range/Red Peak Pass loop is a classic, and has several variations:

1) You could follow the Buena Vista Crest from Merced Pass to Ostrander Lake via Buena Vista and Hart Lakes. Generally easy cross-country (avoid the talus above Hoover Lakes), and good views all along the crest.

2) Instead of following the trail up Triple Peak Fork and traversing to Red Peak Pass, you could go up one of the other forks. Red Peak Fork is an easy cross-country route, and there’s a nearby bridge across the Merced you’ll need in early season. Stay on the south side of the creek to Red Devil Lake, then head up to the pass.

3) A fun side-trip would be to visit Obelisk Lake from Merced Lake–climb out of the canyon due south (there’s a logjam above camp that can be used to cross the river), or “follow” the old calvary route up the west side of Grey Peak fork.

4) Instead of following the river from Merced Lake, you could take the “high trail” that stays above the canyon. Lyell Fork is beautiful, but could be a challenge to cross during heavy runoff.

If it’s a heavy snow year, I’d do the loop counter-clockwise, so you’re approaching Red Peak Pass from the south–it’s a bit easier to identify the pass from this direction. At least, that was the case July 4th, 2005, with 100% snow coverage from Ottoway Lake to Red Devil Lake. You may need binoculars or a spotting scope to identify the switchbacks heading up to the pass, so you approach the correct notch.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Kenneth,
    How long are you planning on taking for the trip?
    If you want to do it in 3 days, I'm a go.
    I live in Rio Vista just outside of the bay area.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools