Topic

Komperdell Trekking poles, any good?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Komperdell Trekking poles, any good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bobby Lee

@rblee

Hey guys, I cam across these on STP but cant even find this model elsewhere or any serious reviews on them. Anybody have experience with them are these any good? It seems like a good deal if they are comparable to the C2 or C3 models?

Komperdell Pure Carbon powerlock poles $79 freeship with email discount i got – PMC3027A

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,3124P_Komperdell-Pure-Carbon-Trekking-Poles-Power-Lock-Pair.html

any advice?

Marcus Strohm
    BPL Member

@afterburner2020

Locale: SE Texas

I recently got a pair of REI peak UL poles which are made for REI by Komperdell (don't think they sell them on their own). They are 3 section twist lock poles with the top two being carbon fiber and the bottom one being aluminum. So far I have used them on two trips and they have preformed very well, they are very well built, very comfortable handles and straps and Komperdells twist lock is the best I have ever seen, no slip at all even when putting a lot of weight on one pole. I suspect those poles should be the same quality. One thing I would note is that the baskets were somewhat difficult to get off to change them out, but hey at least they won't be coming off during use

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have had my REI peak UL poles since they were first released in 2006 (or thereabouts) and they are still working well. I live in europe these days and Komperdell sells the same poles under the name of Komperdell Carbon Duolock. They are a great lightweight pole.

Bobby Lee

@rblee

thanks for the replies – I know Komperdell has a pretty good reputation. I just could not find this model "Pure Carbon" anywhere else, on any other store or review site. It must be an older model? So I think this is a good deal on STP, but just could not be sure with no comparison.
    But the weight seems ok – 13.2 oz

Stephen B Elder Jr
    Spectator

@selder

Locale: Front range CO

they're Power Locks, which could be a selling point…the weight is reasonable, the collapsed length not as short as a person might wish for, but for the price it's pretty tempting…
    Have fun,
    Steve

Geoffrey Barker

@geoffbarker

How did you manage to get the poles at that price, what is the email code you mentioned?

Newbie (can't you tell) :)

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

I had a set for a while, you will need to tighten the powerlocks very tight to keep the grip and the bottom section was loose when collapsed. I snapped the lock on one so be careful in the cold. Otherwise, yes, nice and light good grip shape compact enough…

Will Webster

@willweb

You've got to watch out with STP – a lot of their stuff appears to be made specially for the discount market – kinda like what you find at an "outlet mall". I don't know whether Komperdell would put their name on that stuff or not, but if it isn't available anywhere else that would send up a reg flag for me. I've gotten some good stuff at good prices from STP, but I always do my due diligence.

EDIT: My first pair of Innov-8s came from STP for a lot less than the second pair from Zappos; only difference was the discontinued color.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah hard to say. I had a pair of Komperdells for a while and they were great, if heavy poles.

STP is like TJ Maxx and Marshalls though, they often have great prices on expensive brands, but there's almost always a catch. Normally, one you won't realize until later. There is almost always a *reason* why something is being sold there.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

"I had a set for a while, you will need to tighten the powerlocks very tight to keep the grip and the bottom section was loose when collapsed."

Similar experience, after having a pair for a few years managed to strip the plastic split-nuts that lock the segments. I replaced them and they'll probably be good for another few years. Not sure if Leki's expansion nuts are a better design…

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

Just perhaps of interest. Havent looked back at stp but the single comment on the womens all carbon was that they didnt tighten enough, soon after they were in the 60/90 sale. Couldnt help thinking that someone hadnt thought of the option to tighten the nut…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools