Topic

Eleven Years Old on the PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Eleven Years Old on the PCT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Awesome opportunity you both have, and I hope the trip is as enjoyable as possible. Good luck!

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Awesome, love it.

Frank Oslick

@franko1946

I don't know what you plan to do after the PCT, but your writing is professional quality. Clear, simple, and honest.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

Pretty amazing. I definitely will be following your trail journal.
    Living the dream :-)

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Totally Rad, Dad!

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

So great. Thanks for posting. Love the "Applesauce Bandit."

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Gotta love Tuesdays, especially when an article of this caliber comes along. I pray that all goes well for you two. You know, God does bring us some great opportunities and this is surely one of them. Very impressed you've grabbed it with all your will. Have fun and keep us updated.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What an empowering journey for a kid! She will reap the benefits for the rest of her life. What can slow her down after that? She's going to be light years ahead of the other kids as far as confidence and maturity. Keep her challenged after the trip— middle school might be a little boring after walking down the spine of a continent :)

HAPPY TRAILS!

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

I agree with Nick as he wrote above. I would love it if BPL would set up a means whereby the members can join in on sponsoring this father-daughter duo trek. What better way to say thanks to Eric for his service to his country. What better way to say we believe in the benefits of backpacking for children. I would love to help support this entire family not just the hikers. Mom and the younger daughter can use our support as well.

So, I encourage all you BPL members to email the BPL Customer Service asking that they look into this possibility and make it a reality. Let's give back and pay it forward at the same time!

You go Balls & Sunshine.

Rodney Mruk

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I am so impressed and a little envious. I also have two girls Allison five and Aimee 3. Alli has Aspergers a form of autism. I found that hiking is a great form of therapy for her. We hike together a couple of days a week. Low muscle tone, tippy toe walking, gross motor skills problems along with anxiety all are helped by hiking. It is a great alternative to drugs to treat anxiety. Our time together on the trail is so beneficial.

I read Zero Days a story of the youngest person to thru Hike the PCT. Scout a 10 year old girl and her parents set the bar. It is a great book by the way. I learned from their hike and it inspired me. I have made a goal to take Alli when she is physicaly ready to do it. It is great to see another daddy daughter duo.

Alli

Helping to support this incredible story is a great idea. Count me in.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

All I gotta say is Skurka better start checkin' his rear view mirror.

Emily Mathews

@emmat

Locale: Bay Area

Hey Balls and Sunshine! You are starting the same day as my daughter Ramblin' Rose and me (Half Step). Looking forward to meeting you both!

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Locale: Alexandria, VA

Good luck to you both! This sounds like an amazing experience! I can't wait to follow your trail journal reports.

I second the call to set up a paypal donation page.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

This story is inspirational and I can't wait to follow your journey. Actually, I can't wait for my son Henry and I to follow your journey. He is 4 and he and just finished his 11th backpacking trip, most of which have been just the two of us. Backpacking has always been a place of joy for him, and for amazing father-son time. Most of my favorite moments as a parent have occurred on the trail with Henry.

Now I can see what this can lead to! That might not mean a thru-hike for us, but I can see how Sunshine has grown up with it and I can see a similar path for my kids.

Thank you so much for your adventure. It will be a pleasure to travel with you.

dfdfdee

ere4333

nancy sanders

@backpacker3057

Great story…I love it. It inspired me!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Backpacking Light is looking into a means by which our members can donate to Balls and Sunshine. Stay tuned.

– Sam

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

What a great story! My father introduced me to hiking when I was only 4 years old and that experience and his teachings about nature, the woods, and its residents made such an impact on me and has shaped my outdoors love and philosophy.

This is such an incredible loving and wonderful gift you are giving your daughter, Balls! She will remember this for the rest of her life and she will no doubt pass it on to her own children.

Best wishes for your hike and may the trail be a good friend to you!

Brian Austin

@footeab

Thanks for the article. Been bedridden for the last several months and have been rather down lately. Thank you for showing me the hope for a better future if one is willing to look for it.

Eric Gjonnes
    BPL Member

@ekg

Locale: Northwest

Thank you BPL for your support! Thank you readers for your kind words and encouragment! I look forward to updating you with more articles as the journey continues! Many have asked how they can donate to our adventure, so we set up a Paypal account for donations. If you go to our journal at: trailjournals.com/ballsandsunshine you will see a row of blue buttons on the left hand margin, click on "about". There is now a Paypal donate button at the bottom of that page. Thankyou, and keep an eye out for our next story from the trail!

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

I briefly met you 2 while at the ADZPCTKO and hope your journey is of epic proportions with smiles all the way.

-Keen Eyes

Steve Cain

@hoosierdaddy

Locale: Western Washington

I, also, ran into them at the Kickoff. Very nice, genuine folk! Here's a couple of pic of them:

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I got a huge kick out of the contrast of Sunshine running and playing at kickoff while many of us older guys moped around, often with the limp of sore feet.

Dan Lockcuff

@lockcuff

I think what you are doing is awesome! Were headed to Sequoia National Park in 3 weeks for some trail hiking then into some of the parks in Utah. You two are an inspiration to get some trail time in with my kids. Thank You!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I heard from Eric (Balls) this morning that he and Sunshine reached the Canadian border Saturday evening! What a wonderful accomplishment for this plucky young lady!

They do have one stretch of trail left to do, from Wahtum Lake to Cascade Locks. They had left the trail at Wahtum Lake to attend PCTA Trail Days, but couldn't get back because the road was closed that afternoon due to the Dollar Lake Fire. They tentatively plan to dayhike this section on Wednesday. If all goes as planned, I will meet them at Cascade Locks (where they'll park their vehicle) and drive them to Wahtum Lake.

Daniel Yaris

@daniely

Locale: PNW

It was nice meeting you two at my store tonight! And cool to meet other members from here.

Cheers
    Daniel

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools