Topic

CDT Nobo – June 1st-ish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists CDT Nobo – June 1st-ish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AltLAVSeEeFGdDZIMS1hMXhpaTM2a0FzSGJEVURvY3c&hl=en#gid=0

Planning on heading nobo in late May, but could be as late as June 1st.
    The main thing I'm looking for advice on is my clothing.
    I'm sure I'm carrying too much, but I'm just not sure what kinda temps I'm gonna be seeing. Most of the larger items are probably there to stay, but everything's up for debate.

Thanks in advance.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

It looks like a pretty solid list, for a hike like the CDT it would be a great challenge to get sub 10lbs, so I think that ~15lbs for something like this is decent.

I would definitely not drop the camera like your notes say you might. I would still carry a camera with me if it weighed 5lbs. One of the funnest parts of backpacking for me is taking photos.

Im curious, what design did you use for your MYOG mid?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Are you planning on going thru? That'd be an incredibly late start. Are you very fast?

Expect extremely hot temps in places in New Mexico. 100+ degrees?
    I'd ditch most of your backup cold weather gear. I'd ditch the down socks, overmitts, second buff, long john bottoms, windshirt (your rain jacket is pretty much a windshirt), ursack, bear rope, alarm clock, and can opener.

Most all of that could be added back when it actually gets cold. High altitude Colorado? Not 'til Montana?

I'd also consider starting two weeks later, southbound.

Have a GREAT trip!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I once decided to save weight by leaving the camera home. Never again! I now consider my camera one of my "essentials."

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I guess I should have given you a bit more information. I'm not REALLY planning on thru-hiking. I was sorta just thinking NM and CO, but I'm not dead set on that. I really wanna hike New Mexico, but if it's gonna be really hot and miserable, I'd rather wait and visit sometime in the future. The start date is kinda confusing me. I pretty much have to stay at my job til May 15, but after that I can do whatever. I realize every year is different and all, but most of what I read said the ideal nobo start date would be around May 15. Maybe I'll think about starting sobo.

As far as the camera is concerned, I really don't think I'll miss it TOO much. I always find a camera just ends up being a distraction and takes away from the trip, but who knows. I probably won't decide until the last minute anyway.
    Any other advice/recommendations are welcome, and thanks to those who responded.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools