Topic

A new pack – I know what I want, but don’t know what to get.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A new pack – I know what I want, but don’t know what to get.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

So I got a gorilla in the mail today and aside from needing a Medium (funny as with MLD/Golite/Osprey, etc., I've always needed a large), I'm finding the thing kind of bulky with the crazy huge hipbelt and shoulder straps. Maybe I'm just not used to the padding, but this pack seems like more than is necessary for what I need.

So now I'm looking at the Prophet again, or maybe the burn. The only problem is longer 5+ day trips with a bear can. I'd like to avoid buying two packs if I can, but if I can get a Jam on here for maybe $80 or so, I might just go the Burn and Jam route. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Why not the Ohm or Windrider? I have an Ohm and the compression system is amazing. You can cinch this pack down to nothing if you want and it doesn't look like it's being heavily cinched. The windrider has great compression too, although in a different way since the Windrider compresses (ie. rolls) vertically whereas the Ohm cinches thinner. I like the Ohm's compression system because it cinches the weight closer to the your back if the pack isn't full, but I've never used a windrider. The windrider is sweet because it's got more durable mesh and it's waterproof, but it's also more pricey.

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

If you don't mind last year's model, they are available for the same price as the OHM. Just check out the special deals on their home page.

My apologies. I didn't notice this had already been posted.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

The windrider is pretty heavy at 26 oz.

Really now I'm looking at frameless, under 20oz, with about 2500ci's. Hence the prophet or burn and jam for bearcans options.

Too many options out there.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Unless you have already eliminated it for some reason then for a frameless option I would also be looking at Zpacks Blast.

According to Joe's webiste "Most Bear Canisters will fit in the 2,600 and 3,200 ci sizes standing on end".

Might I also suggest keeping the GG Gorilla so you can try them it against a frameless option? Also The GGG can have the waist belt padding and the shoulder padding removed.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

+1 to trying the Gorilla frameless. I actually think it's most comfortable that way with total loads 18 lbs or less, and without the hip belt or sternum strap.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Thanks all,

I just ordered a burn. I carried the Gorilla around a bit more and I was really liking how it carried, and fixed the shoulder strap issue, but the only time I'll use this kind of volume is for week long trips with a bear can, and I can't afford two pricey packs. Now off to find a used Jam…

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools