Topic

Lower layers for San Juans trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lower layers for San Juans trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I am doing a 160 mile trip in the san juans in late july this year and I am not sure what I what to do for pant/shorts. In the past I have used running shorts and montbell stretch wind pants for hiking in colorado. I have been mostly happy with this set up but I questioning using this set up in the san juans because most of my route is above tree line. I am concerned that if I am hiking in rain and wind at 12,000 feet I will get cold wearing the montbell wind pants. I like the pants, but in hard rain they wet out and cling to my legs and they get cold. Two alternatives I am considering are listed below

Running shorts, cloud kilt, and MYOG 2 oz wind pants

Running shorts and patagonia simple guide pants

I am wondering how the kilt would do in the wind. I am also wondering if the simple guide pants will not cling to my legs when they get wet. I do not mind if my legs get wet in the rain, but I would like them to stay warm. I am also wondering if the simple guide pants are too warm for temps in the 60s and 70s. Any other comments on either idea would be welcome.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I use them most of the time in the winter. I would never touch them now.

In the summer, I might go with some sort of running pant setup. Depends on what kind of mileage you are doing.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

For me it would be:
    1. Long hiking pants
    2. Waterproof rain pants
    3. Windpants (putting on over hiking pants)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

For me:

Lightweight hiking pants
    Lightest weight bottom base layer (similar to Cap 1)
    Rain pants

That base layer can make all the difference when it turns cold and freezes or snows!

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I love softshells over running shorts (as underwear) for shorter 1-4 day trips when weather forecasts are relatively reliable, but I wouldn't count on them for a 160-mile trek. If you get hit with a long-duration rain, you'd be miserable without rain pants.

regular shorts
    long johns
    rain pants

Go kiwi style (long johns under shorts) when you need warmth and breathability.

Russ Porter

@russp17

Locale: Anchorage

My long trips I go withlong underwear, soft shell pants, and rainpants here in Alaska.
    When I lived in Wyoming for trips in the bighorns and winds (similar to the san Jauns I would go with underwear, shorts and rainpants.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools