Topic

Local Sources for AirCore/Amsteel/Dynaline Rope?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Local Sources for AirCore/Amsteel/Dynaline Rope?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

Hey Guys – I'm looking for readily available rope for hammock hanging. I've seen a number of sites that sell it on-line, but unfortunately can't afford to wait. I don't expect stores such as Lowe's or Home Depot to carry equivalent rope (quick search tells me no…) but are there other stores that may carry these types of rope or equivalent?

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Look for an arborist supply store. Most of the dyneema rope that I have seen is either for arborist throw lines or sailing purposes.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Marine shops might carry amsteel (usually not the 7/64 though) and home depot/lowes will sometimes carry zing it or fling it (aircore). As for dynaglide, unless you have a arborist supply shop nearby then online might be the only place. How quick do you need the rope?

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

Thanks for the tips… In Texas we've got lakes/boats everywhere so I'll have to poke around at some marine shops. Looking at getting it before by Thursday, and not really looking to fork over a bunch for expedited shipping. Need enough time to make/test out MYOG whoopie sling.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Why dont you try posting this in HammockForums.Net and see if anyone in the area can send you some quickly.

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

Thanks for the aborist supply tip… found a store 2 miles from my house that carries everything under the sun for climbing/safety gear. They've got 180ft of Fling It for $22… not bad at all. http://shopjlmatthews.com/store/product222.html Not sure what I'll do with 180ft of it, but that's exactly what I need.

I was just about to post in HF when I came across JLMCo.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Try contacting Paul at arrowheadequipment. With normal shipping I get stuff in 4 days. I know that would be pushing it for your time limit but you could always ask him how fast he could get it to you.
    Might be worth a shot, I have had great service from him.

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to check AHE after this week, but I might have to opt for a not-so-UL option for this weekend. It's only for one night after all.

As I've been discovering over at HF, Fling It is nearly impossible to splice (hard part is gettin the bury down). Even Opie himself struggled with it. If you're looking for an UL rope to splice for tarps/hammocks, stick to the AirCore/Dynaglide/Zing-It/AmSteel.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

No its not……but it is great for guylines or a static hammock ridgeline. A cheaper alternative is masons line which can also be had at Home Depot/Lowes.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Hey Eddie, Give us a holler, it depends on where you are and what you need but right now most orders on line alone go out same or next day and to Texas is usually only 2 days shipping time. Finished suspensions are more like next day with the number of orders we have in line right now. But we always try to work with folks when they have a deadline for a trip.

Some lines are easier than others to splice, and even within the same family of lines the spicing can change a bit, green dynaglide currently has a heavier coating on it than the orange making it a bit tougher to work with. Fling it is a bit of a pain but it can be done, making the tapers a bit longer than normal will help to a degree.

Paul

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools