Topic

Overboots in early spring?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Overboots in early spring?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I hoping I can get some feedback here on this issue.

I live and hike in the north east of Minnesota on the SHT and am looking into some gortex or neoprean overboots to use in conjunction with my mid height hiking shoes (Keen Targeen)for early summer use. Obviously right now my winter boots are too much but I am concerned that my normal hiking shoes won't be enough (temperature and more importantly, wetness)

I expect to encounter temps between 45 F and 20 F with about 4 to 24 inches of snow on the trail.

My questions are:

1. Would using an overboot be a good idea?
    2. What type of overboot would you recommend?

I've taken a look at the Crescent Moon Overboot which seems a bit too little, and the 40 Below TR which seem way overkill.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Are you using these on snowshoes? My understanding is that while technically possible, you wouldn't want to hike wearing only the 40 Below overboots without snowshoes/crampons/microspikes.

If just in your shoes, I'd recommend checking out the insulated VBL socks at RBH. Wear those and plastic bags to keep them dry on the outside and your feet will be toasty at 20 degrees. I didn't even wear liner socks with them, just the insulated VBL socks themselves.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Are they even needed? 20F-40F, 4 to 24 inches of snow (is this new snow, or snow already on the ground)?

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

Check out Neos Overboots

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

those temps aren't cold enough in my opinion. it gets to -40 here and i barely wear winter boots. mostly just GTX trail runners. add a gaiter to increase the height of your boot. and if you are moving, feet should be fine.

Ty Reidenbaugh

@the_will

I'm aligned with Nick's question above. I have hiked in leather boots in snow in temps 5 degrees either side of 0 and my feet were fine. Honestly it is surprising how warm feet can stay when enagaged in hiking. But I understand that each of our experiences are different.

If it were me, the first step I would take in keeping my feet warm would be to keep them dry. I would feel comfortable in those temps with Gore-Tex socks over wool socks for the trail…maybe have some insulated footwear for camp.

Outdoor Research used to make an interesting product that would have met the description of what you are looking for. It was a gaiter that completely covered the top of the boot leaving only the sole exposed. It had CCF insulation that was removeable. I don't know of another company that makes anything similiar at present.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Thanks for all the replies!

I should have been a bit more specific with my question though.

I'm not worried about the daytime temperatures while hiking but I am worried about the wet snow. All the snow on the ground is going to be melting and wet, possibly slushy.

My main concern is that my hiking shoes will get wet, then get cold, then freeze at night. For this reason I was considering using an overboot to keep the boots dry.

I’ve read a few articles here on BPL where Ryan Jordan described using custom built neoprene overboots to help keep his shoes and feet dry and figured members could help me determine if this system would work for me and if so what product you would recommend.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

what you are referring to is generically known as supergaiters. the OR version are x gaiters. the x gaiters can be found on ebay periodically and a good because they can fit on a wide variety of boots. you can also wear them with or without the insulation in place. the traditional supergaiter uses rubber and for extra protection barge cement to adhere to the wide rubber rand found on most technical mountaineering boots to work properly. they do NOT go on and off easly. they come insulated or uninsulated. the traditioanl supergaiter gives a much better seal aginst moisture intrusion than the OR x gaiter. here's a guy on ebay that's been selling the climb high gaiters for years http://cgi.ebay.com/Climb-High-Buzzard-Gaiters-/290506437899?pt=Snowboarding&hash=item43a388750b

Ty Reidenbaugh

@the_will

I own the OR version and snagged a pair of Black Diamond supergaitors on closeout that have the rubber instep. Indeed they are difficult to get on and off. I've used each supergaiter setup no more than 2 times each.

I think I just betrayed my gearnerdness.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools