Topic

Vapor Barrier Mitts. Pattern Help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Vapor Barrier Mitts. Pattern Help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

So we’ve been having a productive day at home. My bike frame is at the shop where they will hopefully warrenty the crack :s

My wife is knitting so I sat down at the sewing machine and tried to figure out a lobster mitt pattern so I can make some VB liners. I’ve been through 3 patterns and I’m getting close but still having some issues. I think I finally got the dimension of hand width right and the thumb/first finger hole is close but…

How do you get the “V” shape right between the fingers (just 2 since it’s a lobster style)? Do you leave a big seam allowance? Do you cut a longer slot where the fingers come together or not? Is there a best way to do the seam or is just the simple seam ok? My fingers are ending up to long too. Can I just resew them shorter and trim the pattern once I flip it back inside out?

I’m sewing it inside out and then flipping it. Any tips are welcome. I can take pictures if that’s not clear.

Thanks!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

mittsHere’s the furthest I’ve got so far. I learned a few things today. 1) Blue magic marker runs easily on this scrap white stuff 2) Making mitts is hard 3) My lobster mitts from the store look much more complicated than my 2 piece pattern

That being said this revision works okay. I will keep experiementing. Hints are appreciated :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools