Topic

Roan Mountain Appalachian Trail Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Roan Mountain Appalachian Trail Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maddox Johnston

@nuffsaid

Hey guys,

My 13 year old son and I are going to be hiking the section of the AT US 19e to Iron Mountain Gap (27 miles), and I have a few quick questions. We are hiking on April 18-20 (a Monday-Wednesday)and I was wondering how bad the crowds would be? I thought that there wouldn't be a lot of people, because 1. It's not a weekend, 2. The crowds tend to accumulate near national parks and 3. The rhododendron aren't in bloom yet, but I was looking for some other opinions. And also, what's the weather like around this time there?

Thanks,
    Maddox

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

There may be some thru-hikers around, but it won't be crowded. Not like a summer weekend, certainly. But you will probably see other hikers.

Be prepared for cold temps and bad weather no matter what the forecast says. You can get some weather information here:

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

Just click the Overmountain Shelter link. Mid-April you can have very nice warm weather, or it can be well below freezing. The last time we hiked that area, in late March, the conditions at Carver Gap were 20 degrees colder than forecast, with very high winds and freezing fog. Good times. (Really.)

If I were going then, I would base my overall packing list on the weather forecast, then bring at least one extra layer of warm clothing top and bottom. (For some reason, I keep re-learning that lesson over and over again….)

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Hard to say about the weather. Check the weather channel 10 day forecast for Elk Park, NC; subtract anywhere from 12 to 20 degrees and hope the forecast is in the ball-park.
    As for "crowds" the only place you'll see anyone other than other hikers is right around, maybe a mile or 2 to the north of Carver's Gap and probably only if it's clear and sunny. On the Roan side the "tourist" attractions are away from the trail except you get within @ 1/4 mile just past the high top and the old cabin/shelter (worth the side trip).

Judging from Jack Haskel's progress you will likely run into N-bound thru-hikers.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I would say that other than NOBO's you probably won't see anyone mid week except around Carvers Gap. We were through there end of Feb., on a weekend, and the only people we saw were 3 of the first NOBO's.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools