Topic

Binding Raw edges– what kind of binding tape/grosgrain?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Binding Raw edges– what kind of binding tape/grosgrain?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi, the grosgrain im using to bind my raw edges is pretty stiff stuff and doesn't work well for curved edges…anyone have a source (please link me to the actual product used) for a more flexible pliable grosgrain or bia tape? Thanks!!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Konrad,
    Sometimes it helps to sew one side, and then tension and sew the other, catching the first side again.

What raw edge, how thick, what material? (How Tough is it?)
    How are you attempting to get the job done?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Thanks Greg, I'm planning on binding the raw edges of a MYOG hipbelt, and shoulder harness. So, a layer of 4mm spacer mesh and either dyneema grid or 210d ripstop nylon. The spacer mesh flattens out, the 2 materials layered are around 2mm. I was either going to pre-crease the grosgrain down the center with an iron and sew it onto the raw edges or do your method…Haven't actually attempted it yet. I can just tell from handling my current grosgrain than when it comes to the curves, it doesn't want to flatten against the fabric.

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

Hi Konrad,
    I have used grosgrain tape ironed half. I have found that bias tape from Quest Outfitters works better. I agree with Greg it is easier to stitch one side then the other especially along curves like on shoulder strapes.
    Fred

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Conrad for hip belts or shoulder straps use 3/4" cross grain ribbon because it more abrasion resistant because it exposed to the elements.
    I have been trying out some pre folded nylon Bias tape for binding the inside stitches it works pretty good.
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/narrow_roll_goods.htm#WEBBING-%20NYLON

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Hey Konrad, I use 3/4" grosgrain from OWF it works great and takes a curve well. I fold the grosgrain in half and run it across the edge of the table to put a crease in it, which helps keep the top and bottom even. One thing which has helped me get good results with curves and grosgrain is to pull the grosgrain straight back toward you as hard as you can and turn the shoulder/hip strap and keep the grosgrain straight as you sew. By pulling the hard on the grosgrain and keeping it straight it keeps it from folding over on itself. Good luck with your project and post some photos of your results!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Pre folding is a good idea Christopher I never thought of it. I usually just run the cross grain pinched between my thumb and fore finger and it works. I wish I had the money for a commercial machine they have a binding ribbon fold attachment you run the cross grain ribbon through it pre folded close to the walking foot.
    I have the binding ribbon fold attachment that came with my used Riccar machine but it will not take the thick cross grain ribbon.
    Terry

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

I've used a thin nylon webbing from McMaster Carr, product 87975K54 (sorry, it's hard to link directly to a product on their site). It's very thin like grosgrain but also very flexible (way more flexible than grosgrain). It's actually a breeze to use to bind off a curved edge; no wrestling needed.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

"McMaster Carr, product 87975K54"

Wow, that sounds like a great material. Don't know if i want the minimum 75 feet though…

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Hey Konrad,
    Here's what I use for doing exactly what you're talking about with 3/4" gross grain. Works amazing, and you get a really nice, uniform edge. Definitely worth the price tag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sewing-Machine-Plain-Tape-Binder-Attachment-Size-3-4-/400188725959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2d1b5ac7#ht_2377wt_905

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

Reviving this old thread to ask people what would they use as lightweight and abrasion resistant edging tape.
    I like the idea of using webbing as far as lifespan, not too keen about the weight tho. It’s for projects made with X-Pack21 or 2oz Ripstop, so my thoughts are that webbing is going to by a lot stiffer than the fabric itself, leading to undesired loss of shape in the bags/tool rolls/etc.

Any toughts?

I’ve used some centrefold tape that is ok, easy to fold in the middle, but I can’t find it on a better price and I’d like the tape to be Polyester or Nylon for better resistance.
    https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/acrylic-centrefold-tape-22mm?variant=5940829571

thanks!

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Andrea – get the required width in a light polyester grosgrain, cut to approximate length, fold in half and iron a crease down the centre.  Standard iron set at polyester setting or a touch lower.  The beauty of polyester is that it takes and keeps a crease – polyester pants. Nylon also works but not as well as polyester. Nylon tends to shed creases over time which is why most sleeping bags and no iron clothes are made of nylon.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Why not just sandwich the strap components wrong side out, sew them together along the edge, then flip them right side out?

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

Because I want more abrasion resistance than what Silnylon or Xpack21 offers. Plus the grosgrain can be replaced if starts to wear out.

If it’s only the hem, I have a serger machine and it takes seconds to trim&stitch the edges. Fantastic job done in seconds :-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools