Topic

Stoic Tops

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Stoic Tops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

SAC has a bunch of Stoic merino wool short sleeve tops up for $33. Tons of sizes

T kawa

@kitsune

well, it's over now, but have you tried those? how are they, I have a I/O tshirt and the mediums sleeves are very short… I'm not a muscle man I can't wear my tees like that =)

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

I haven't tried them but I figured I would see how I like them. I'm pretty skinny too so we shall see how they fit

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I think these are the same as the backcountry labeled ones from a few years back, but now branded "stoic." I have one I got from SAC and like it a lot, esp. for the price. Very thin (I wear in summer, no problem). Fits snug. Sleeves are actually pretty long, almost past bicep. Detail around neck is a little odd but unnoticeable when wearing.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

They seem to retain odor a bit quicker than other merino, but for the cash, I haven't found a wiser investment. Only get them on SAC or backcountry's outlet–otherwise it's not really that great of a deal

EDIT
    *sorry, i wrote this post assuming the newer stoic ones were the same as the older backcountry.com ones. I own the backcountry ones, and not the stoic, and it looks like the stoic one's aren't as form fitting anymore.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

They're back on SAC right now, 20 minutes left.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have 4 I picked up from Backcountry's site when they were on sale for 38.50 each and I think they are well worth the money.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Not actually the 'same' tops… but somewhat similar. the OG Backcountry.com tops were made in Canada, these are made in China.

Also, the BC.com ones were much more 'form fitting' than the Stoic ones….

Hope this helps.

Oh, and the sleeves are LOONNGG. I have the most absurd 'ape index' of anyone I have met, and they do me fine.

However, they are not very sweet looking for casual use (if that is what you want to use it for as well)

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I've got one of the original Backcountry.com merino T-shirts, and it is awesome — as good as anything I've seen from Icebreaker. Thin and wonderful, stink-free, and looks nice enough for daily wear.

The Stoic ones I've tried on — a roommate had a few — and they aren't as form fitting. Baggier, and I didn't like the cut as well. They don't look as good on and the colors aren't as good, either.

Still a decent value, but I wouldn't rush out to get them unless they were an amazing deal.

What I have been impressed by are the Stoic and Backcountry.com jackets. I've got a Shift jacket, and I've purchased a hard shell and a wool jacket as gifts and for the money when you get them on a good sale or SAC, they are the best value jacket's I know of anywhere.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Ok, so I just got these tops today which was way quicker than expected. In regards to sizing, I am 5'9" about 135lbs with a 37 chest. I ordered a small and I am glad I did. I like my base layers to be fairly tight fitting and the small fits me well. Some people have said that the shirt rides up into their armpits which they do not like. I do not think that it is riding up it is just a tight, form fitting shirt. The sleeves come down about midway between my elbow and shoulder which I like. Some sleeves tend to be too short which I do not like when running. I first got these for running as I quickly stink up synthetics when running anything over about 4-5 miles, but I will try these out for backpacking as well. The phantom/silver color combo is also nice.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

There is a list of all the old SAC deals where you can still get them at discount, seems like 30% is common:
    http://sac.gearattack.com/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools