Topic

camping spot in california

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion camping spot in california

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Ok….first off, I know this isnt really a BPL topic, but I figure everyone here is so knowledgeable I would be able to get some good advice regardless.

A group of my classmates from nursing school approached me and asked if I would put together a little weekend camping trip for us after the semester is over. We are in San Francisco and want to go the first weekend of June. I am guessing they are thinking of a car camping spot, so no backpacking. Do you guys have any recommendations of a spot to go? I am hoping something that has some good hiking, views and scenery or maybe even swimming if its nice enough out.

Any ideas?

THanks so much!!
    Dan

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

What area of California do you want to go? I have a feeling that all high country area's of the Sierra's will still be snowed in. There are plenty of great places to car camp within CA. The coast….either north of SF or heading south past Moneterey into Big Sur. How far are you all willing to travel?

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

We are open to go wherever. I was thinking of Big Sur initially, but was wondering if there are any other spots you all would recommend? Where up North would you recommend?

Martha S.

@kitfox

If you're just going over the weekend, Pinnacles National Monument is wonderful and close by — within two hours, depending on when you leave.

It has great hikes, panoramic views, "caves" for safe exploration, fabulous geology, and best (IMHO), California Condors circling overhead — magnificent.

There is a pool in the campground too if you really want to swim, though it looked pretty cold to me!

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/index.htm

Wherever you decide to go — have a great time!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was at the Pinnacles just two weeks ago, because the full talus cave was open. Unfortunately, the cave was a river and the bats were uncooperative.

–B.G.–

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

OOOOO I didnt even think about the pinnacles…that would be an awesome spot to go. I havent been there in years! There is just the one campground right? Any good day hikes you can recommend?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you start on the east side, you follow the High Peaks Trail up over the top and then back down on the east side through parts of the talus cave.

Or, you can start on the east side, hike around the Balconies Trail to the west side, then come up to the High Peaks from there and back down to the east side.

–B.G.–

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

This is perfect….I am reserving a campsite right now. I know this is kinda picky…but anyone have specific site #s you recommend? Having a good sit can make all the difference!

Martha S.

@kitfox

As I recall the campground on the east side has RV sites and group car-camp sites.

Unless you have an RV I recommend the last group site – the one farthest away from the entry and ranger station. It's not QUITE as nice as the group site closer to the entry (fewer trees, etc.) but it's WAY closer to the toilet and you're group will appreciate not having a 5-minute schlep in either direction during the night.

As you say yourself, "having a good sit (sic) can make all the difference." ;-D

Have a great time!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have the perfect place I used to fly radio control gliders off the cliffs It called Sunset Beach campground near Capitola,Ca so close to your home. It is on the coast in the redwood all the camp sites are surrounded by red woods.
    If you like beach camping want to go south you have Pismo beach, San Onofre,Carlsbad, San Elijo in Cardiff. You might be able to find but hard to get in the state campgrounds at the beach you do have wait in line for excess camping spots.

Campland by the bay in San Diego is a private campground in the Pacific Beach you have the beach and board walk is the spot about mile away bring bicycles,skateboards,rollerblade,bodyboards,surfboards or rent them from all the rental shops for the boardwalk.The night life of Pacific beach Dancing bars, restaurants. Beach fun and games for a graduating class of nurses.
    http://www.campland.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools