Topic

Eastern US backpacking fishermen?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Eastern US backpacking fishermen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

Any here? I'm heading up to NYC from FL and I think I'm going to use the soda-can reel and bring some braid, hooks, couple swivels, a small bobber, two DOAs, and a Mirrolure Top Pup topwater (or two, and only if I'm able to master walking the dog with a soda can haha)… and maybe a popping cork depending on how heavy my pack is. Should only be a couple ounces.

Let me know what your setup is and where you fish?? I honestly have no idea what fishing is like north of Florida. We'll see :D

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

I feel pretty accomplished– I just walked the dog with a soda can LOL. It's not too hard to get a nice smooth action.

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

Pics please, never seen a soda can reel..

up in new england there is lots of fun to be had fishing and backpacking. Since u mentioned nyc, I must suggest the catskills. Awesome stuff there, just google for it and you're off.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Soda can reels are just a soda can with line tied onto it and wrapped around it. With the
    weight of a full crawler, you can cast it out a fair distance. I call them a "Poachers Rig",
    but my brother was not quite so nice, he came back with "Pig Rig"…and worse. It works well until it snarls. You cannot put too much line on them. A tomato can works a bit better, the larger sized one with ridges.

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

Yea Nate, James is spot on, just a can. With a topwater I can cast just as far as a fishing pole :)

Yea, my hobo reel did end up bird's nesting :( I need to learn the bimini twist or whatever to be able to attach line to itself if I have to cut a snarl out.

Though I might try it with braid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools