Topic

General Mild 3 season List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists General Mild 3 season List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keith F

@hamerica

Locale: Northern Virginia

Thoughts or suggestions? If the weather is colder I would add a merino mid-layer and possibly my First Ascent downlight sweater.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/0d8a44b6e6b7edbc6dcba1326af38307.pdf

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

Looks good to me. Im guessing you wear your gatewood cape as your rain jacket and pants. A bit more insulation might not be a bad idea. Possibly a montbell EX light or down vest. Depending on where you're hiking you probably wont need the down sweater. Besides that it looks great. Where will you be hiking primarily?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Good list.

A few things I would do differently would be:

– Does you stove kit leave soot? If so, you might want to use a cuben sack, to keep stuff clean.

– Most trips I take two 1-liter platy's. Do you need 3 liters of water storage? I don't like tubes, which saves me weight.

– I would not use the water filter. I am okay with Aquamira tablets.

– Food/bear Bag. Do you have an odor-proof bag, especially if you might run into bears?

– Headlamp. On most 3 season trips I just bring a single micro light.

– My 1st aid kit weighs a lot less.

– To me hand sanitizer and soap are redundant. I just use Dr. Bronners and have never gotten sick.

– LM Squirt: I have never needed more than a knife blade and scissors. On short trips I just bring a razor blade. Long trips a Victronix Classic.

– Trekking Poles: There are lighter options.

Keith F

@hamerica

Allen, yes the gatewood is my raingear. I also have a driducks set if the forecast looks nasty. I would mainly be hiking in the mid-Atlantic region, Shenandoah mostly…

Keith F

@hamerica

Thanks Nick, I'll keep working on it… Any preferences for a good microlight? I have a princeton-tec impulse but it is only 10 lumens and my night vision is not the best.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a Photon Microlight. Don't know what the lumens are, and I rarely hike at night. I have hiked at night with it, and it does a really poor job.

My Petzl e-light is much lighter than my Petzl Tikka XP, but not as good or convenient. There is a trade-off for everything.

To be honest, you list looks quite good. If it works well, you are ready to go.

Keith F

@hamerica

Always room for improvement…

Keith F

@hamerica

List slightly updated…

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

I know shoes are a personal thing but you could go lighter there. Other than that the list looks good – I am jealous.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools